Think seeing what you're listening to doesn't influence how it sounds?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is not just seeing, it is the placebo effect. Well know, used and recognized.
But then, music quality is largely in the ear of the beholder, so if you think it sounds better, is it not better? It just depends on how much you have to spend....
Of course the placebo effect is difficult to sustain....

I don't think I understand the role of the placebo effect on this, could you explain what you mean?

This is an excellent example of the complexity of perception and the interpolations our brain makes. Even though the sound is "baa", we see and therefore believe that it is "vaa" so that is what we hear.
If we are convinced enough to believe a pill (or something) will do a certain thing, we are quite likely to perceive it that way.
I see these as similar, not different.

Of course it matters. That's why, in the interest of the pursuit of the art, true audiophiles permanently blind themselves with forks before taking the system to the last tenth. Low WAF, though. Everyone else just sees a guy with dark sunglasses.

On a slightly more serious note, it shows how the brain is the real audio organ. This plays a role in such things as the debate over whether we can hear (or more precisely, discern) ultrasonic sound despite only being able to identify steady state sounds below 20K (or less). Or, if you don't buy that is possible, then subsonic sounds as a component of music, which almost anyone, including non-audiophiles, can "hear".

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.