True Power-- Math Question - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2010, 07:45 AM   #11
wdcw is offline wdcw  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi again Irakli,

In your equations you get IT = 46.06A.

Using the following calculation I seem to get a different number.

(I1= 23A, I2 = 30.9A, I3 = 13.52A)

IT = sqrt I1^2 + (I2 - I3)^2
= sqrt 23^2 + 30.9-13.52^2
= sqrt 529 + 302
= sqrt 831
= 28.8A

Could you have a look & see what you think, I think this may be correct because IL Lags being Inductive where Ic Leads being Capactive so you have to have (IL - Ic) or (Ic - IL).

I just edited this as I had some silly errors!
Cheers

Last edited by wdcw; 18th October 2010 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Typo Error
Old 18th October 2010, 08:53 AM   #12
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

LTspice lets you quickly measure and calculate currents and (active) powers, so that you can easily check your calculations.

Here for instance, the total active power is 10.141KW (Alt + left click on V1, then Ctrl + left-click on the waveform name) (the display window has to be a multiple of the period)
Attached Images
File Type: gif PFcalc.GIF (34.0 KB, 64 views)
Old 18th October 2010, 12:04 PM   #13
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Elvee,
can LTspice be asked for the two power values? the 10.5kW & the 10.2kW.
I think your first question and answer are the accurate value of 10.14kW for the lower power of 10.2kW.
Old 18th October 2010, 12:59 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Irakli,

I have just drawn a Phasor diagram which I will attach to see if firstly if I could & then to see how things added up by using this method.

Your math is correct by the look of it, my calculation above would be correct only with a Purely Inductive & Capacitive Impedance or maybe I should say Inductive Reactance & Capacitive Reactance in that case XL & XC ?.
Then there would be a 90deg current Lag for the Inductive Part & A 90deg Lead for the Capacitive part. You would have to subtract one from the other in that case only.

From the Phasor diagram I get 46.16A which is very close to what you said & what LTSpice says.

I think I have the Phasor diagram drawn correctly if anyone can see I haven't done it correctly could they let me know please.

Elvee,

Yes LTSpice is a great Tool, I use it a lot but am still just learning about all this so any hints etc are greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: gif PHASOR.gif (8.3 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by wdcw; 18th October 2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 18th October 2010, 02:28 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Elvee,
can LTspice be asked for the two power values? the 10.5kW & the 10.2kW.
I think your first question and answer are the accurate value of 10.14kW for the lower power of 10.2kW.
Basically, LTspice can provide directly actual physical quantities, and P, the active power is one of them (10.141KW).
But S, the apparent power has no physical existence: it is just a convention that we, humans, find convenient to use, and it isn't available as a native function.
However, LTspice can also do maths, and any arbitrary function could be programmed if needed.
Old 18th October 2010, 06:17 PM   #16
Irakli is offline Irakli  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdcw View Post
Irakli,

I have just drawn a Phasor diagram which I will attach to see if firstly if I could & then to see how things added up by using this method.

Your math is correct by the look of it, my calculation above would be correct only with a Purely Inductive & Capacitive Impedance or maybe I should say Inductive Reactance & Capacitive Reactance in that case XL & XC ?.
Then there would be a 90deg current Lag for the Inductive Part & A 90deg Lead for the Capacitive part. You would have to subtract one from the other in that case only.

From the Phasor diagram I get 46.16A which is very close to what you said & what LTSpice says.

I think I have the Phasor diagram drawn correctly if anyone can see I haven't done it correctly could they let me know please.

Elvee,

Yes LTSpice is a great Tool, I use it a lot but am still just learning about all this so any hints etc are greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Hi Again,

Your vector (phasor) diagram is correct. That's the right way to do things. By the way, complex numbers are nothing more (for our purposes) then another representation of these vectors.

One advice if I may.

I strongly recommend not to use simulators at all at this stage and do everything with paper, pencil and simple scientific calculator.

first, with simple circuits the math is not complicated. Most importantly, you will learn how things really work (good example is right here spending time with vector diagrams and understanding phase relationships). Also you will learn how to break big problem to smaller ones and isolate the essential things. All this is called good engineering and you can't learn it relaying on simulators.
Old 18th October 2010, 10:35 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi Irakli,

Yes, I understand what you mean about learning the math etc, this is a good example, I didn't quite understand until I drew the Phasor-Vector diagram.
I am happy I got it correct as it helped me a lot, I am trying to learn some complex math along the way & using the phasor diagrams may help me with this also.

I also understand that using programs to work things out for you can hinder the full understanding of things, that's why I thought it best to ask for some help to work this out properly.

Thanks for your help with this, I learnt a lot from this, I also learnt how much I don't know

Thanks again

Elvee,

Yes I understand what your saying about LTSpice, I think I also have to learn how to do the math etc to be able to use this correctly as well.
It's all very interesting, I only wish I had learnt more some years ago.

Thanks everyone,

I actually learnt something

Cheers
Old 19th October 2010, 08:40 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdcw View Post
Elvee,

Yes I understand what your saying about LTSpice, I think I also have to learn how to do the math etc to be able to use this correctly as well.
It's all very interesting, I only wish I had learnt more some years ago.
Remember what I wrote:

Quote:
LTspice lets you quickly measure and calculate currents and (active) powers, so that you can easily check your calculations.
I suggest you use it as a means of control after you've done the maths.

Just playing aimlessly with it won't be of any good.

Hide this!Advertise here!