DIY Ottawa Fall Meet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A saturday/sunday is better in general, most people work mon-fri. I'm in for whenever it is, but i think realistically, we should be looking january. We all have projects were working on that will end up goin on hold for christmas, and november is basically here.

I vote for the last locale as well, the room was very nice, and it wasnt stupid hot/cold in there.

Me Fuzy.jpg

This is the guy who will be making the reservations. Although he lost the caterpillar.

Saturday 1:30PM East Side Marios's Hunt Club and Merivale.

Mark

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

Just a quick thanks to those who helped organize today's meeting. It was a great lunch with lots of fun conversation. A few new faces, and many familiar ones, which is a great mix!

I'm looking forward to the second official mini Ottawa Audio Show in January!

On that note, it might be a valuable exercise to plan the day out a little bit, and get an idea of what should happen and when. I don't want to over-plan anything, but the last show did involve a lot of tinkering and not quite as much listening as I had hoped. I will also admit to that being somewhat my fault... a result of bringing along a work-in-progress system.

Anyhow, it might be worth compiling a list of equipment, and roughing out a schedule so everyone gets a fair chance. We can have some equipment just on display, and some intended for listening. Again, I don't want to over-plan, but a rough idea might be a good thing.

Another interesting aspect of some very successful shows is tech talks or presentations. We seem to have a lot of expertise within our ranks, and it might be beneficial to everyone if there were one or two mini technical seminars. I for one would be very interested in hearing about tapped horn design (something I know little about) and in exchange, I could also do a talk on Class D and SMPS design, something I do on a daily basis. Speaker measurement could be a neat and applicable topic, along with a million other things. These could take place in the second room and those who are interested could participate. Just an idea...

Cheers,
Owen

Hi everyone,
It was a pleasure meeting you all today. It was nice to know there's so much DIY passion in the city (and even a few mad scientists...). The January show is shaping up to be a fun time.

Pierre mentioned he'd be interested in having some gear measured. If it works for the group, I could bring my measurement set up and run some sweeps in the second room.

+1 on Owen's idea of short seminars, I'd look forward to his talk on SMPS. I could prepare a short speaker measurement seminar, focused on the different techniques, pros/cons and methods. To make it more practical, it could be followed up by a hands on presentation of a particular software package that could run on a PC (no pressure Mark....:) ).

Dave

Sure no pressure.

First tapped horns and now test and measurement!

Sheesh!

Be more than happy to tell all I know. Got five minutes?

Ok a bit Oh structure is more than welcome.

Some things to get going is the new thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clubs-events/176350-winter-diy-ottawa-meet.html#post2349007

All info and questions about the winter meet could go there. That way it is a bit easier to find for newbies.

As for presentations there has to be a consensus. I don't think anyone wants to sit a listen to us talk all day. So some format has to be worked out.

I'll post a few ideas on the new thread and see what you guys think.

Remember this is a meet all have an equal say in this.

Mark

great idea on the smps design tips. I was again trying to do some clean up in the basement and there is this pile of PC power supplies and I thought wouldn't it be nice if I could change some of these power supplies to lets say +/- 25-30 volts at whatever the power supply input is limited to. ie 250 watt power supply becomes +/- 25 volt at 5 amps hmm. Then I saw Owen's email and maybe if we ask him real nice.........

Nice to see everyone again and looking forward to January

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Anyhow, it might be worth compiling a list of equipment, and roughing out a schedule so everyone gets a fair chance. We can have some equipment just on display, and some intended for listening. Again, I don't want to over-plan, but a rough idea might be a good thing.

Very good suggestion. Perhaps we could organize the musical styles too. Compare some equipment on classical, other equipment on jazz and yet some more on rock. In addition to helping us spend more time listening, planning ahead might help us relax a bit more, not having to worry about what to setup next.

Pierre

This is looking great!

I'll bring ARTA an interface box and a lap top with a mic. This will be most useful. That way we could have some stuff measured.

What are the odds we set up on Saturday and listen on Sunday? Or do you think we could pull off a quicker setup this time?

For all who were not at the lunch.

I will be bringing a set of CBT line arrays, and a number of subwoofers in different configurations. They will all be using the same drivers and be different in terms of loading methods. A subwoofer shoot out will be setup so that all can do an evaluation. There will be vented front loaded and two types of tapped horns. At least one of the tapped horns will be a true tapped horn. So it should be a real treat.

The thread that has been going for them is here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1276179

If we know in advance who will be bringing what we can roughly schedule what can work where and when. And bring your own music! Nothing like something to listen to that your familiar with.

Mark

Last edited:
Testing, testing

If the show is Sunday, I'd be willing to help set up on Saturday. Mark, we could cal your Mic and Peter, I'd be happy to measure your speakers that day, maybe compare to ARTA.

If anyone wants Speakers measured Saturday, maybe we can set up a day just for that? Whatever the group wants, I'm flexy.

Sunday sounds like virgin Caesar kind of day. Virgin Caesars and frantic just don't mix. :)

Dave

Joined 2004
Paid Member
If the show is Sunday, I'd be willing to help set up on Saturday. Mark, we could cal your Mic and Peter, I'd be happy to measure your speakers that day, maybe compare to ARTA.

If anyone wants Speakers measured Saturday, maybe we can set up a day just for that? Whatever the group wants, I'm flexy.

Sunday sounds like virgin Caesar kind of day. Virgin Caesars and frantic just don't mix. :)

Dave

Dave

Personally I will be happy booking the room another day for measurements, but would prefer to do so another day than the saturday before the "virgin Ceasar" day. Weekends are too short for all family priorities ;)

For those who were not there last time, there are two rooms in the centre. For the 23d I booked the large one, which is large enough for two setups.
I anticipate that - with a bit of luck - we get the small room too. This gives the fearless among us some options for doing measurements on the 23d: a second setup either in the large room (just for measurement) or in the small room. These are just some ideas...

Comments and suggestions are welcome!

Pierre

Hi Dave an Pierre

Some of the calibrating work and all could easily be done pre-show. I think that would make the most sense. A differential calibration takes some time. And I'm not so sure people want to watch Dave and I wrestle with microphones and loose a few rounds until we vanquish the little beasts. ( That's how it usually goes! )

As for measuring what ever comes in...

Doesn't take that long to do decent frequency response curves. An impedance measurement and such can be done with the same connections. So we have a quick and dirty method of getting things done.

Dave send me a PM if you want and we could setup some time to get some of this stuff sorted out in advance.

Owen and all who are interested in setting up a schedule. ( That includes me )

Some conversations and a few posts could go a long way to making this a better meet. So send a PM and we talk. Telephones are still wonderful devices to communicate with.

Length of time for the presentations would be important and the placement during the day would be important.

I have another request.

I'm bringing five subs to the meet and would appreciate an evaluation critique on them. I'm thinking the simplest way would be to set up a form that describes certain characteristics that are important for the sound. Any ideas as to good questions that would be applicable?

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.