Speaker Wiring Impedance Question - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2010, 04:17 PM   #11
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Sure looks like a standard series parallel to me. I am confused by the wires on the lower left speaker. Can you straighten those out a bit and confirm they are running the same as the ones on the lower right?
Old 10th October 2010, 04:19 PM   #12
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

What are you measuring the impedance with?
Old 10th October 2010, 07:32 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Cal, the wires on the left are going right to their respective destinations, identical to the ones on the right. I swear I thought for that setup the speakers on the bottom had to be run together instead of the speakers recieving the main input signal, but I guess it doesnt matter. Right? Only reason Im questioning it is because of my odd ohm readings.
wwenze, I am measuring + to - with a digital multimeter across a single speaker. Should I use the multimeter in a different location?
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
wwenze, I am measuring + to - with a digital multimeter across a single speaker. Should I use the multimeter in a different location?

Last edited by Rotus623; 10th October 2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10th October 2010, 08:18 PM   #14
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

The wiring seems correct. You must disconnect the input wires from the amp and measure there. If those are 16 ohm drivers you should read 16 ohms. If you measure at one driver as it stands with disconnecting anything you should read 4 ohms. The diagram you show is the same as what you have as far as the speakers are concerned.
Old 10th October 2010, 08:56 PM   #15
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

If you measure on a single driver you'd see 8 ohms not 4 (since there's another driver still in shunt.) IF these drivers really are 16 ohms.

Rotus,

Remember, 16 ohms is probably the rated nominal impedance of these drivers and not the DC resistance, which is what you're measuring with your ohmmeter. Most likely it would measure something less than 16 ohms.

Also, maybe I missed it, but you MUST disconnect the red/black wires from your amplifier while making these measurements or you will get an incorrect reading.

Cheers,

Dave.

Last edited by Davey; 10th October 2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10th October 2010, 09:24 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Okay Cal, Davey, you want me to measure the ohms at the input jack of the speaker cab, or the output of the amplifier? When I measured at the (disconnected) speaker input jack, I get all sorts of crazy numbers. When I measure directly across each speaker, it is 4 ohms.
Conclusion is that the multimeter which measures DC Impedance is not going to properly measure this, correct? And also, this is in fact a series-parallel, so I should be at 16 ohms and just set my amp output impedance to that, right?
Old 10th October 2010, 10:10 PM   #17
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
If you measure on a single driver you'd see 8
Yes of course, my little brain hiccup had me thinking 8 ohm drivers. Must pay attention.
Old 2nd December 2010, 08:39 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Run it at 16 ohms. If you put a meter on the input jack to the cabinet and it says somewhere around 12 to 14 ohms then it is a 16 ohm cabinet. There is not any way to get 8 ohms from 4 16 ohm speakers.

But if you disconnect the speakers and put a meter on them each one should read in the area of 12 to 14 or so ohms.

Hide this!Advertise here!