Auditorium sound in my basement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am not sure where to ask this question,thought I would start here.Is it possible to get that huge auditorium sound in my basement without any effects processor? I ask this only because I think the best sound I ever heard of a normal recorded popular music was playing in an empty college auditorium. It was a listening experience I will never forget.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
When you say "an empty college auditorium" I think big, reverberant, echoing sound. Is that what you liked?

If so, the short answer is NO. Your basement is too small. The reverb will be louder and shorter and mostly just annoying. You won't get that feeling of grand space the empty college auditorium had.

However - as Waki points out - you may be able to do it with effects processors. And that might float you boat. Back in the 80s I did a lot of shows were we used dozens of speakers all around the space, it was pretty cool. Back then Yamaha made the DSP-1 for home use, it generates 4 channels of ambiance. I still have one and like it.

So you might be able to get the sound you like with a modern version of the DSP-1 effects processor and a lot of speakers around the room. For the effects the speakers don't have to be the greatest, so it's not too expensive. You will probably want some room treatment in your basement. That's the long answer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.