Not open for further replies.
hayden-strangelove.jpg

:D

se

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi SY,
Getting counterfeit devices would be a serious setback. Can someone contact the supplier (Cal or yourself) to see what they say about this? Then I guess it would be up to John to confirm they are the real deal next time he bumps into Mr. Bybee.

Getting John or Jack to confirm these are in fact the real devices might be a critical step now.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi cliffforrest,
Indeed, but how would anyone know?
By checking the dimensions and magnetic characteristics of the devices that SY has in his possession right now. Because he noted that ...
The dimensions are different than spec (9/16" as opposed to 1"), and the leads are neither copper nor silver (they are highly magnetic).
I understand his question. A magnetic lead would seem to be in direct opposition to the current acceptable component lead material. I'd be suspicious too!

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Cal,
I wasn't challenging anything. I was responding to SY's description of the leads, which seems wrong for a component like that.

Maybe the device works by inserting that steel sound!

Anyway, all I suggested was that the question be put to the vendor since it is commonly known that he audio press has declared magnetic material in component leads unfit for audio duty.

-Chris

From the Bybee website:

In 2003 there were breakthrough developments concerning the theoretically ideal materials and physical form needed to optimize noise reduction and electron flow through the signal path. Advances in materials science and fabrication technology have resulted in a unique new carbon fiber-based Quantum Purifier with electron noise reduction and electron Slipstream transmission properties that are distinctly audible and visible, and superior to Jack Bybee’s earlier developments. The Bybee Slipstream Quantum Purifier represents the Quantum Purifier concept taken to the limit. Slipstream Quantum Purifiers are now available in three versions—with copper, silver or gold leads—for optimal performance in different components and applications.

Of course copper, silver and gold may just be platings over a steel core lead.

se

There is a resistor inside that is attached to the leads sticking out. The leads are mil spec something, as just pure copper is rarely used for many military applications due to its ease of breakage with high vibration. I asked Jack about this years ago, he said that it still works 'OK' but remember these are the cheap parts, the more expensive versions would have silver or gold leads. You get what you pay for. Also, take care if you take one apart, the resistor is potentially hazardous to your health, if you grind on it or something similar. Serious warning.
I have 4 identical devices in my inventory that look the same. They should be the same, if they came from a Bybee distributor.

Last edited:
I asked Jack about this years ago, he said that it still works 'OK' but remember these are the cheap parts, the more expensive versions would have silver or gold leads.

The website claims copper leads. It's a bit dishonest to claim copper leads when it's just copper plating over steel.

The silver and gold is probably nothing more than a plating as well.

What a sham.

se

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
Do your devices have magnetic properties? The ones SY has apparently do, and that would not come from any of the materials listed there.

Any thoughts on this, because a magnetic lead seems to disqualify these things from the acceptable high end materials list.

Also, thank you for your comments on this.

-Chris

No, the DEVICES do not have any significant magnetic properties. I'm serious here. Today, I took an identical device and ran a magnet from end to end. The residual magnetic signature is in the LEADS, only! The center part is non-magnetic The leads are most probably nickel over copper, a common MILITARY lead material. Please everyone, do some independent research on leads, etc, and save me the trouble of correcting the accusations made almost at random.

The center part is non-magnetic The leads are most probably nickel over copper...

I seriously doubt it. SY said the leads were strongly magnetic. A little nickel plating would only be rather weakly magnetic.

...a common MILITARY lead material.

Got any reference for that? The most common leads I see for both commercial and military other than tin over copper is copper clad steel.

se

Status
Not open for further replies.