Bybee Quantum Purifier Measurement and Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
The power dissipation discussion led to a simple realization that this thing is going to limit damping factor to 320 and below for an 8 Ohm load. (if wired in the speaker lines) It might even be more important to consider the effects on high frequency response of some amps, mainly stability, Again, I recommend that there might be something interesting to see by making recordings of output signals in many different systems where listening description are available. Maybe some square wave burst tests (safely done of course) would be interesting too. It would be nice to have Very high recording bandwidth for the square wave tests even if fidelity is not superbe. Maybe a storage scope.
I don't care about speaker microphone effect or any other ways to get scared of collecting as much data as possible.

Last edited:
If the resistors are from Pacific, I belive they are wire wound with a byrillium core for better heat dissipation (MIL-R-26 & MIL-R-18546), I do not belive they are beyrillium film.

In looking at their site, Pacific seems to be all wirewound. And, their site states either alumina, which is aluminum oxide, or beryllium, which is a metal. (of course they mean beryllia).

They do have non inductive styles as well, which is the bifilar style of winding. They also list the resistance temco as 90 ppm/degree C, which would indicate the resistance material.

Beryllia. That's the same kind of confusion one sees in sloppy wording between silicon (chips) and silicone (tits).

Yep. Luckily, I've yet to confuse the (two). ;)

Cheers, John

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jacques,
WIW, 25 milliohms is the equivalent of 25 feet of 10 AWG copper wire (or 1 foot of 24 AWG copper).
Wrong comparison. I was talking about contact resistance between the wire and connections to the amplifier and speaker system. The average connections, not the ones that SY or anyone use to taking measurements would make.

Once you figure that out, we have insertion loss in the speaker crossover and connection resistance to the drivers as well. Then there is the effective impedance of the actual driver (speaker).

It's pretty easy for the effect of 0R025 to get lost in the woods when installed in a real system. Still, maybe they do make some difference in a system. It really depends on whether anyone can measure any parameter that differs from an equivalent resistor.

-Chris :)

Hi Jacques,

Wrong comparison. I was talking about contact resistance between the wire and connections to the amplifier and speaker system. The average connections, not the ones that SY or anyone use to taking measurements would make.

Once you figure that out, we have insertion loss in the speaker crossover and connection resistance to the drivers as well. Then there is the effective impedance of the actual driver (speaker).

It's pretty easy for the effect of 0R025 to get lost in the woods when installed in a real system. Still, maybe they do make some difference in a system. It really depends on whether anyone can measure any parameter that differs from an equivalent resistor.

-Chris :)

Chris,

My bad. I didn't intend that to be interpreted as in opposition to your statement, (even though it sure looks that way), only as a palpable reference to something tangible. I too find it hard to believe that 25 milliohms is significant in the context of everything else in the circuit.

Assuming that these are built similar to the QPs that were dissected with a conductive outer shell, I wouldn't be surprised to find some eddy current losses in the shell. That should result in a resistance that increases slightly with increases frequency. Unlike an inductive impedance increase, I would expect an impedance increase from eddy currents to be lossy (i.e., not reactive). That could explain the rising resistance measurements of the previous units.

Status
Not open for further replies.