Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 24th January 2011, 03:03 PM   #1241
diyAudio Member

Hi, thanks John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneutron View Post
If the viewed trace is vertically displaced, as by the vertical offset adjustment, then an electron velocity change would cause the electron path curvature to change. If there is no vertical deflecting field, either electric or magnetic, I would not expect a change.
Thanks, yes I know this. That is why I asked "If the trace is across the center line..zero voltage on vertical deflection plates..."

Quote:
If there is an electron velocity change within a device, it would be over once the mean free path within the copper wires on either side of the device were exceeded..any change would dissipate as heat, then the electron is again accelerated by gradient. I would not expect any velocity change to make it to the crt.
Agreed, the tube acceleration voltage would cause electrons to transit the tube at a particular speed.

Eric.

Old 24th January 2011, 04:25 PM   #1242
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
or might get me into trouble with people bigger than me
Does that mean that if we happen to stumble across the answer we get a visit from large men wearing sharp suits and earpieces, alighting from a big black 4x4? Or is this one of those stories where the intention is to send other people off on a wild goose chase while Uncle Sam quietly pursues quite different technology?

If it does what it says it does, then it must be establishing quantum correlations between electrons (e.g. like Cooper pairs in a superconductor). Classical correlations are the reason why you don't get shot noise from a piece of wire. I find it dfficult to believe (I am being polite!) that such quantum correlations, once established, do not quickly suffer from decoherence in a normal conductor.

What I suspect it actually does is attenuate RF surface waves on a cable, by dissipating them in what is in effect a lossy choke made from fancy metal oxides. The fact that some versions add resistive "stealth" material confirms this, in my opinion. So this is a spin-off from stealth technology. Stopping RF from getting into audio components can improve the sound, yet nothing will show up in a purely audio test.

Old 24th January 2011, 04:54 PM   #1243
diyAudio Member

DF96, in spite of your skepticism, I think you are closer than most, in several of your statements. Now, which ones are correct? I, personally, trust my ears, your ears may vary. ;-)

Old 24th January 2011, 05:12 PM   #1244
diyAudio Member

So stealth is the truth, and all the quantum stuff is the cover story? Or is the US a lot closer to room temperature superconductors than they will publicly admit? Or just yet another application of negative index metamaterials?

By the way, my experience is that some engineers (including senior academics) will sincerely believe complete nonsense. This is because they are taught just enough physics and maths to confuse themselves.

Old 24th January 2011, 05:17 PM   #1245
diyAudio Member

You chose, how should I know?

Old 24th January 2011, 05:35 PM   #1246
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
So this is a spin-off from stealth technology.
No, it's not. It's a resistor wrapped in a story. The measurements that John generously provided confirm that if this were a choke, it is of sufficiently small value to have negligible effect at 1 MHz. The steel leads probably have more inductance than the contained resistor.

A 50 cent resistor gives identical performance (i.e., nothing significant) in the audio band and for at least an octave above (John's data shows this to be true many octaves above, but I limited my testing to 90kHz or so).

Quote:
Or just yet another application of negative index metamaterials?
I hope you're joking. There's a metamaterials company next door which works nearly entirely on military contracts. When I talked to their chief technologist (with whom I have lunch frequently- this is a very interesting subject area) about this, he was in hysterics.

Quote:
By the way, my experience is that some engineers (including senior academics) will sincerely believe complete nonsense. This is because they are taught just enough physics and maths to confuse themselves.
Here I know you're not joking. Sadly.

Old 24th January 2011, 05:42 PM   #1247
diyAudio Member

I guess I have got as close as I am going to get!

Old 24th January 2011, 06:35 PM   #1248
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
LOL! That was great, and really to the point. But kidding aside, where does superconductivity begin?.
Superconductivity begins.....at home..

or, no, wait...maybe it was charity??

Sy is correct.

If it were not so, the .013 inch diameter wires I am now working with that are half NbTi, half copper, would not be capable of 200 ampere DC operation.

A supercon wire will skin to beat the band...the conduction begins on the surface, and goes further in as the current goes up. The surface current density is at Jc, with the depth needed to conduct the full current being imposed on the wire. So as the current rises, more and more of the super is used to carry it..it will fail once the entire volume of the super has been used to support current, then it will instantly transition to the type of conductor you mere mortals are doomed to use...resistive..bwwhhhhaaaaaahahahahah.

Cheers, John

Old 24th January 2011, 06:46 PM   #1249
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
......... Stopping RF from getting into audio components can improve the sound, yet nothing will show up in a purely audio test.
This is interesting. A lot here are of the opinion that if it can be heard it can be measured in the analogue domain at the frequencies that the ear/brain can perceive (or some would have it that the ear can hear!). Does this contradict that assertion & how is this explained?

Old 24th January 2011, 08:35 PM   #1250
diyAudio Member

summary of the thousands of post so far.

SY and JC have both supplied REAL data that supports the contention that the device is not significantly different in its electrical characteristics to a standard resistor.

JC claims that he can hear differences, but has not provided any data to back this up.

Numerous guesses haver been made about the possible composition and electrical effects of the device. None have been backed by any data.

Numerous posts have alluded to classified and secret status of the device and its relatives. Again, no information is provided to back this up.

The supplier of the device is independently wealthy, and drives a fettled Bentley.

Would you buy securities on this basis?

Last edited by aardvarkash10; 24th January 2011 at 08:38 PM.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!