Bybee Quantum Purifier Measurement and Analysis - Page 105 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 20th December 2010, 01:27 AM   #1041
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnferrier View Post
So, in the end nothing?
Maybe SY got a call from the other Jack Bybee.

Old 20th December 2010, 06:56 AM   #1042
dfidler is offline dfidler  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinahcc20 View Post
Main news would seem to be that Jack Bybee has discovered how to market fancifully wrapped resistors at a markup of 7418% over the garden-variety version of the same resistor!
That's not news, the claims made so far have no more validity than Bybees. I'm not beating SY up for taking a long time to get the results documented (we all get busy sometimes), I'm simply stating that we're still in the middle of the scientific process, which was the purpose of this thread; to scientifically analyze the devices and provide measurements.

The first phase is complete; the lab work. Now we need to move onto the analysis of the data and then peer review.

Anyone who does otherwise is guilty of the same type of 'gullible' behavior that SY belittles in the very first post of this thread.

Cheers,
Dave.

Old 20th December 2010, 06:57 AM   #1043
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post
I've been thinking of developing a fancifully wrapped open circuit. Instead of being placed in series, it'll work in shunt, out of the signal path. I'll be FAR superior to the Bybee.

se
That's AWESOME! I'd really like to hear more about your device.... in another thread...

Old 20th December 2010, 11:04 AM   #1044
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

That's a fair point- I've been rather demotivated because of how... mundane the results were. Here's a few more dribs to chew on. It's been said that the Bybee will reduce noise in a circuit by some sort of "slipstreaming" and "stripping of quantum noise." Putting aside the clear violations of basic thermodynamics, let's see if it actually does.

First, as a baseline, I compare the noise floor of the measurement system with the input shorted to the same system with a 100k resistor across the input. This is in a relatively electrically noisy environment, but still those alarming spikes and other noises are still pretty low.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100k vs short.jpg (107.7 KB, 571 views)

Old 20th December 2010, 11:07 AM   #1045
diyAudio Moderator

Now let's up the frequency resolution and look at the Bybee in series with the 100k resistor versus a shorted input. Note the scaling change.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bybee in series with 100k vs short.jpg (81.3 KB, 555 views)
File Type: jpg Bybee in series with 100k vs short alt.jpg (171.0 KB, 553 views)

Old 20th December 2010, 11:10 AM   #1046
diyAudio Moderator

OK, fine, is the Bybee having an effect? Here's a comparison of the Bybee in series with 100k versus the 50 cent resistor in series with 100k. I show both linear and log plots. If you can see any sort of consistent noise improvement, you're better than I. And, again, if you want to worry about stuff below -150dB and at broadcast frequencies, have at it- it's irrelevant to what's going on in the region where our ears work.

More later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bybee vs R in series with 100k.jpg (107.9 KB, 554 views)
File Type: jpg Bybee vs R in series with 100k linear.jpg (81.4 KB, 525 views)

Old 20th December 2010, 11:59 AM   #1047
diyAudio Member

Hey SY,

Thanks for these, I know that we all have been anticipating the results.

Just to make sure that we're all on the same page, could you please give us the legend for each graph?

I'm assuming that the title of the graph (top-left) represents the order comparisons and black always means the first plot while the purply-pinkly(ish) colour means the second plot.

Also, for the sake of transparency, would you be willing to disclose your relationship to Bybee, his distributors and/or any other market competitiors. If you have affiliations (for or against) then it's good to know. If you don't have any then that's even more convincing.

Ultimately, this thread is going to come up on google for anyone that searches for Bybee (it ranks #4 already for "bybee quantum purifier"). If the general consensus is that these devices = Snake Oil, then it's important that perspective buyers get as much info as they can about the devices.

Similarly, could you please re-summarize your testing platform (measuring equipment, etc, so that it's close to the posted results); maybe a Mod can link, from the first post, to your current one so that googlers don't have to read 1000+ posts to get the Cole's Notes version of this thread?

PS - Please note that I wasn't whingeing about you not getting the results in; you've done the lion's share of the work so if it takes you a few more months to document them then so be it. Nor was I questioning your integrity.

Last edited by dfidler; 20th December 2010 at 12:02 PM.

Old 20th December 2010, 12:03 PM   #1048
diyAudio Moderator

Just to be clear, other than getting paid for a few articles now and then, I have no commercial interests whatever in the audio biz.

For the above spectra, M-Audio 192 sound card. HP computer, some cheap piece of garbage. The quieter spectra are in all cases the shorted input.

Old 20th December 2010, 12:06 PM   #1049
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks. Do you have any with tone(s) running? Like a 1Khz or similar?

Old 20th December 2010, 12:08 PM   #1050
diyAudio Moderator

Yes. Haven't dragged them off my lab computer yet.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!