Bybee Quantum Purifier Measurement and Analysis - Page 100 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 1st December 2010, 11:40 AM   #991
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

I have not read the whole thread (life is too short!), but my impression is that if this device works at all (which I am not clear about, despite claims made by sincere people) it certainly does not work in the way claimed, as that would require the device to be able to distinguish between signal and (quantum) noise in the same frequency range. This would mean that the device is akin to Maxwell's demon i.e. carry out its master's wishes by using special knowledge denied to mere mortals. It would also require that once filtered, the electrons somehow retained their new order despite future scattering from dislocations, phonons etc. This I do not believe.

It is said that the device removes quantum noise, and converts it to heat. Surely the removal of randomness (i.e. the imposition of order) would require energy input, so the device should cool itself (as it has no other energy source)? Otherwise it violates thermodynamics. However, I accept that the cooling may be very small compared with the ohmic heating in the resistor, so perhaps difficult to detect.

My own suggestion (if it does anything, other than enhancing the placebo effect) is that it removes RF surface modes from cables (see http://www.corridor.biz/FullArticle.pdf). It is conceivable that it could be better at this than a conventional choke, which is aimed at reducing the more commonly recognised current-based modes. The energy in the surface mode could be dissipated as heat in the ceramics. By the way, ceramics can be made which have quite unusual electromagnetic properties (I worked for a while with a research team) so it is not inconceivable that a suitable arrangement could choke off surface modes. Conventional measurements, treating the item as a two-terminal component, might not detect these properties.

I am not a believer, but I have found that sometimes a genuine effect can be dismissed because it is accompanied by a crazy explanation. We can usually safely reject the crazy explanation, although just occasionally (quantum mechanics?) the crazy explanation turns out to be true!

Old 1st December 2010, 11:53 AM   #992
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It's been pointed out before that the claims violate first principles. Not just the Second Law, but the First as well.

However, since no effects show up in the audio band at any sane level, it's safe (in the total absence of any supplier data to the contrary and any controlled listening test) to categorize this as a relatively expensive placebo enhancer.

Like any good scam, what you're buying is the story, not the performance.

Old 1st December 2010, 06:00 PM   #993
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
However, since no effects show up in the audio band at any sane level,
I am too sane, three of the five doctors signed off on it!

Sorry brought to mind very old joke.

Old 1st December 2010, 06:05 PM   #994
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Other two demanded too high a bribe ?

Old 1st December 2010, 06:32 PM   #995
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Any discontinuity in ground return or well constructed cable might be audible (EMI, RFI), this is IMO the main difference that the Bybee's make in line level or power level installation. + Marketing soup = audible difference.

Old 1st December 2010, 06:49 PM   #996
Irakli is offline Irakli  United States
diyAudio Member

Ha-ha, I was always wondering if this thread can get platinum. It is almost there, few more posts to go

Old 1st December 2010, 06:50 PM   #997
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Maybe that's the secret- platinum nanotubes.

Old 1st December 2010, 07:05 PM   #998
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
Other two demanded too high a bribe ?
I just bought the three cheapest, I may be crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm stupid!

Old 1st December 2010, 09:31 PM   #999
diyAudio Member

One more to go for Pt!

Old 1st December 2010, 10:50 PM   #1000
diyAudio Member

Well then, I'll have to supply it.

Appreciate your efforts SY. A good read.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!