New Linear Audio publication! - Page 64 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th May 2013, 05:44 AM   #631
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanuc View Post
Sadly the PCB is now unobtanium. The bootstrapped '95 one with AD797 I am on about. . . .
It's definitely impressive when an engineering effort "gets it right the first time".

Are you referring to the schematics of Figure 1 and Figure 2 of the article in "Audio Electronics", 2000 issue #4 (see http://waltjung.org/PDFs/Improved_PN_Regs.pdf ). I believe those circuits use a slightly modified version of the PWB layout shown in Figure 4 of the "Audio Amateur" article from 1995 issue #3 (see http://waltjung.org/PDFs/Regs_for_High_Perf_Audio_3.pdf ).

If that is the case, it should be fairly straightforward to simply replicate that layout into a file package that you could successfully send to most of the quick-turn PWB houses. Since the component make/model and basic mechanical layout have already been determined, I'd estimate about 1 - 2 man-days' work. Of course, modifications or "requirements creep" can exponentially increase that estimate.

Dale
Old 26th May 2013, 06:43 AM   #632
Fanuc is offline Fanuc  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchisholm View Post
It's definitely impressive when an engineering effort "gets it right the first time".

Are you referring to the schematics of Figure 1 and Figure 2 of the article in "Audio Electronics", 2000 issue #4 (see http://waltjung.org/PDFs/Improved_PN_Regs.pdf ). I believe those circuits use a slightly modified version of the PWB layout shown in Figure 4 of the "Audio Amateur" article from 1995 issue #3 (see http://waltjung.org/PDFs/Regs_for_High_Perf_Audio_3.pdf ).

If that is the case, it should be fairly straightforward to simply replicate that layout into a file package that you could successfully send to most of the quick-turn PWB houses. Since the component make/model and basic mechanical layout have already been determined, I'd estimate about 1 - 2 man-days' work. Of course, modifications or "requirements creep" can exponentially increase that estimate.

Dale
Hello,

It would better if Jan designs it. I know he done tests/measurements (no easy task I hear)for Andy (ALW) and liked the PCB layout etc. I remember following the thread at the time. So he's best placed to design/improve it etc.

Kev

Last edited by Fanuc; 26th May 2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old 26th May 2013, 12:22 PM   #633
diyAudio Member

Peranders boards are to be recommended. Here are the Old Colony boards which Jan designed:

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

At some point I will reconfigure to the shunt design WJ discussed a few months back in AudioXpress.
Old 26th May 2013, 05:35 PM   #634
diyAudio Member

I've layed out a revised version, using the original circuit from the 1995 series updated with Walts 4/2000 article in Audio Amateur (all available on Walt's website).
I need to do some small tuning but will then place the Gerbers and stuff on my website for free.
Single board for pos and neg version which can be separated.
Such is the pleasure of a rainy Sunday afternoon

jan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg superreg v2.jpg (205.3 KB, 341 views)
Old 26th May 2013, 05:37 PM   #635
diyAudio Member

Thanks, i will try it.
Old 27th May 2013, 06:41 PM   #636
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by peranders View Post
who will build Bruno's
A Bruno-VC thread might be a stimulant.
e.g. BOM, tips on how to handle that buggar, possibly a component GB (+ang).

Just staring at the C-numbers makes me feel somewhat challenged.
Old 27th May 2013, 07:08 PM   #637
diyAudio Member

Jacco, any problem to translate that post into English??

jan
Old 27th May 2013, 07:15 PM   #638
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
I've layed out a revised version, using the original circuit from the 1995 series updated with Walts 4/2000 article in Audio Amateur (all available on Walt's website).
I need to do some small tuning but will then place the Gerbers and stuff on my website for free.
Single board for pos and neg version which can be separated.
Such is the pleasure of a rainy Sunday afternoon

jan
Q1? Check the placement against the heatsink.

Notice also that you have acid traps (angles less than 90 deg) on the pcb, near J1 for instance. I don't use square pads very much. Pretty tight in some locations.

Last edited by peranders; 27th May 2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 27th May 2013, 08:05 PM   #639
diyAudio Member

Yeah I need to check those pinouts. The PCB faithfully reproduces the schematic, but those libs always have multiple pinouts for the same case. Standard procedure, I learned that the hard way

jan
Old 27th May 2013, 08:16 PM   #640
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

It looks like you are using Altium Designer and if so I really do recommend that you make a pcb project with schematics and layout. Then you can also put intelligent net labels in the schematic and have a nice overview in the layout.

Hide this!Advertise here!