Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2011, 05:42 PM   #201
FdW is offline FdW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Thanks Jan, I did place my order
Old 22nd March 2011, 07:49 PM   #202
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
I haven't ordered the books yet, but I am assuming that the foam notebooks are similar to something I did in the S-100 / SS-50 home computer era (mid 70's). I must warn the readers of the eventual outcome. After 20+ years of being embedded in foam and south Florida humidity most of the IC's lost their legs. Some of the foam became rather crumbly too. It was no big deal losing a few hundred old TTL and LS series chips, but losing my collection of Mostek MK50240 top octave dividers sucked.....Until I got the idea of soldering the stubby remains of the chips onto some machine pin IC sockets.

Maybe most normal people don't keep things forever, but I still have my collection of germanium PNP transistors from high school. Great for making guitar fuzz boxes.
Gee,

I keep 4 CK722 germanium transistors in a frame on the wall, along with a TI7400 and a few other notables.

I have had semiconductors in foam, some for 35+ years, never had a lead corrode. Foam turns to grimy dust thought. So I have to agree with you it most likely is the Florida salt air. No wonder all the folks I see in Florida seem to look so old!

Thanks,

ES
Old 22nd March 2011, 09:15 PM   #203
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
Foam turns to grimy dust..most likely is the Florida salt air.
Same routine here, the closer to salt water, the faster magic foam transforms to mummy dust.

(nowadays, problems with CI registration, bunker cost, and/or deduction of interest on 2nd matras mortgage turn wrinkles)
Old 23rd March 2011, 09:03 AM   #204
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finch View Post
Maybe Jan will tell us what he says for just a few Euros?
Well you can always read the abstract on the site!
But briefly, the idea is that if you have ideal square-law devices they only generate even harmonics, and then if you put two of them in push-pull the even harmonics cancel.
The devil of course being how to get ideal square-law devices.
And then there's the little matter of how that helps to make efficient class-A.
Ian's a pretty smart guy. He's also a great human being: quit his job to care for his ailing Dad, doing odd jobs to sustain himself. How's that for caring for your elders. That in itself earned my respect big-time.

jan
Old 23rd March 2011, 10:50 AM   #205
forr is offline forr  France
diyAudio Member

Hi Jan,
Just ordered my copy.
I now remember Ian's interest, back in 1995 in Electronics World, for what was called "D2S", "curvilinear class A" or, in France, "quadratic class A" by Hephaistos in L'Audiophile. Another nice circuit Ian submitted was an enhanced Sokol's equalizer for closed box, in fact an adjustable transform. I built it, it works very well.
Old 23rd March 2011, 10:55 AM   #206
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forr View Post
Hi Jan,
Just ordered my copy.
I now remember Ian's interest, back in 1995 in Electronics World, for what was called "D2S", "curvilinear class A" or, in France, "quadratic class A" by Hephaistos in L'Audiophile. Another nice circuit Ian submitted was an enhanced Sokol's equalizer for closed box, in fact an adjustable transform. I built it, it works very well.
I don't know about that Sokol circuit; can you send me something?
Anyway, Ian makes a distinction between square-law class-A (your quadratic class-A) and curvelinear class-A. Similar but not the same.

jan
Old 23rd March 2011, 01:10 PM   #207
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No wonder all the folks I see in Florida seem to look so old!
There is a logical explanation for that......they ARE old! I am getting dangerously close to 60 myself, but I refuse to grow up, because when you grow up, you grow old. I will remain a kid forever. Always keep learning, because when you stop learning, you start dying. In that quest I ordered both books yesterday. When The book of Morgan 4th ed comes out I will have that one too.

Quote:
I keep 4 CK722 germanium transistors in a frame on the wall
I fried all of those about 40 years ago. I still have some house numbered little guys, but I used to collect the big TO-36 germanium from the backs of 60's car radios. You could crank them pretty good before they blew up. I bought a box full of 2N3055's in the late 60's. Didn't blow them all up. I still have some of them.
Old 23rd March 2011, 01:25 PM   #208
diyAudio Member

Quote:
but I refuse to grow up
At the least you've got the tan and biceps as corroboration.

The Linear Audio fagazine has addictive potential.
(oh no, not another one)
Old 23rd March 2011, 01:40 PM   #209
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There is a logical explanation for that......they ARE old! I am getting dangerously close to 60 myself, but I refuse to grow up, because when you grow up, you grow old. I will remain a kid forever. Always keep learning, because when you stop learning, you start dying. In that quest I ordered both books yesterday. When The book of Morgan 4th ed comes out I will have that one too. [snip].
Answered Woody Allen to the reporter: "No, I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality by not dying".

jan
Old 23rd March 2011, 01:52 PM   #210
diyAudio Member

In Sunspicious mole state there's 2 choices ;

1 - YouTube - Tom Waits hits on a chick at a party
2 - YouTube - Tom Waits-I Don't Wanna Grow Up

Hide this!Advertise here!