New Linear Audio publication! - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th October 2010, 12:53 PM   #151
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
Getting back to LinearAudio -- I have a suggestion -- you might want to put the illustrations and charts on a "members" website -- and you might want to request GIF's rather than JPEG's from your authors.
Hi Jack,

Yes a good suggestion, I'll think about it.
One of my focal points for the next issue is the look and placing of illustrations. Surprisingly (or maybe not) the illustrations in an article take much more effort than the text. Then again, a pic is worth a 1000 words they say

jan didden
Old 7th October 2010, 01:29 PM   #152
diyAudio Member

I think Sugano San of Koetsu stated the high price race in the 70th. His idea was to use precious stone for the body of the cart and using exotic materials for the wires and the magnetic structure. Then came the Audio Note Japan IO Limited that had a field coil instead of a magnet and special rigid and low resonance design for the body. That cartridge also had a very low impedance around 1 Ohm and a super low output of only 0.025mV. Even today the best phonstages with a SN of 80dB are not good enough for this cartridge in terms of noise so a transformer is the only way to do it justice. Today we have a plethora of exotic and expensive cartridges and new ones are comming each day. But there are also very good sounding cartridges that do not cost an arm and a leg. What i find really importand is how this cartridges are adjusted and amplified and if the tonearm has the correct effective mass, has good bearings and good damping of resonances and that the turntable has no audible rumble, holds the speed and is isolated from mechanical shock and air transmission. Recently i put together a turntable for a friend of mine and the sound i got was in some but not all ways better then the sound of my 10 times more costly refference table. It all depends how the equipment is setup and used. By mentioning this expensive cartridges it was not my intention to give the impression that only very expensive cartridges do the job. My intent was to show that for a lowest noise result impedance should be low and output voltage should be high.
Old 7th October 2010, 05:17 PM   #153
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peranders View Post
Ping Douglas!

I checked my link collection and your website bounced, nobody there. Try to Google with no results. Is your website down for good or....
Hello

I am painfully aware that my website is not currently accessible under its usual address. The Pipex address translation system seems to have failed. They don't seem to be interested in fixing it.

You can still access it at: The Douglas Self Site

(http://www.aqpl43.dsl.pipex.com/index.htm)

Please pass this info on to anyone you think might be interested.
Old 7th October 2010, 05:29 PM   #154
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
Hello Douglas !
I tryed the Low Z input with the Lyra Titan i ( 5.5 Ohm impedance ) and it worked well aurally but i did not do a measurement. Somewhere hidden in the text is the information that for the Low Z case the feedback resistors appear in PARALLEL to the cartridge so the value of the feedback resistors can be raised without worsening the SN much when the cart is a low Z type.
I found another cartridge that is a contender for high SN. It is the Air Tight P1 with 2.5 Ohm and 0.5 mV. There is a Signature model above that has even a higher ratio of impedance to output voltgae but i did not find te data sheet so far.

Hi Joachim

I don't think I follow you about the feedback resistors appearing in parallel to the cartridge. So far as I can see their noise contribution still counts. Can you do us a diagram?

I was more concerned about the implications for the cartridge response of running it into a virtual short-circuit, as opposed to the manufacturer's minimum load. Surely there must be bad effects?

The Air Tight P1 shows a (non-RIAA) S/N of 84.8 dB, not so good as the Hyper Eminent at 86.3 dB. But the Air Tight Supreme gives 86.9 dB, so we have a new winner. Mind you, for that money it should be good.

Last edited by DouglasSelf; 7th October 2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 7th October 2010, 06:17 PM   #155
diyAudio Member

Hi Douglas !
I am busy with family issues at the moment but i will answer later today.
Concerning the expense of such high tech cartridges i hope that the technology trickles down into more affordable regions ones in a while. I asked the guys at Lyra why this cartridges have such a good relationship between impedance and voltage output and the answer was that My Sonic Lab and Air Tight use a special core material where they wind the coils on that is a trade secret.
Old 7th October 2010, 06:33 PM   #156
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasSelf View Post
Hello

I am painfully aware that my website is not currently accessible under its usual address. The Pipex address translation system seems to have failed. They don't seem to be interested in fixing it.

You can still access it at: The Douglas Self Site

(The Douglas Self Site)

Please pass this info on to anyone you think might be interested.
Douglas, if you want any help with your own domain and a good webhotel, I can help you. This will take me 15 minutes maybe and transfer all you info won't be hard either. Let me know if you are interested. I administrate six websites so I'm used to deal with this. One of my webhotels is ManuFrog Webbhotell very good with servers in UK and the US.
Old 7th October 2010, 10:22 PM   #157
diyAudio Member

Here come two simplified gain structures that are posible with the Rabbit Hole Phonostage. One is High Z and the other Low Z. I will do a noise analysys with both circuits with my assosiates the next days. I simmed my referrence cartridge with 6 Ohm and 6uH. I measured this values at the connectors that go into the phonostage so they include the cabling. With the Lyra Titan I and a feedback resistor of 10 Ohms the sound i got was fine but i did not do any measurements of frequency response. That will be done too as soon as i have the finished product in house. As far as i can see it the impedance of the cartridge is parallel to the feedback resistor AC wise in the Low Z case.
Old 12th October 2010, 12:23 PM   #158
diyAudio Member

Default Vlads travel fund

At the Burning Amp tread AR2 collects travel money for a couple of DIYA-members to enable them to visit Burning Amp.
Linear Audio will contribute to this fund: I'll donate $ 1 for each sale to a DIYaudio member; you need to enter discount code DIYA when ordering.
And ohh yes, you'll get 10% off as well yourself.
Deal?

jan didden
Old 12th October 2010, 07:48 PM   #159
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peranders View Post
Douglas, if you want any help with your own domain and a good webhotel, I can help you. This will take me 15 minutes maybe and transfer all you info won't be hard either. Let me know if you are interested. I administrate six websites so I'm used to deal with this. One of my webhotels is ManuFrog Webbhotell very good with servers in UK and the US.
Hi there

Sorry for delay in replying, but yes, I am interested. The site is currently unavailable even under its alternate name and I'm sick of being messed about by Pipex.

I have registered by own domain- douglas-self.com

Where do we go from here?
Old 12th October 2010, 08:03 PM   #160
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Can you email me and then I'll tell you what I need to know.

Hide this!Advertise here!