New Linear Audio publication! - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2010, 10:58 AM   #121
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Thanks Mooly,

it's rather jolly to see Mr Self participate at the forum, un-dis-respect does not require compliance.
In the words of the immortal Sgt. Phil Esterhaus : Let's be carefull out Here !
Old 23rd September 2010, 02:35 PM   #122
diyAudio Member

I think we agree we are drifting way off-topic, and for the good of the thread we should stop discussion on the Leach questions. If anyone wants to start a separate thread I'll happily put in my happorth in there.

I'm hoping to see some comments on the inclusive compensation business itself...
Old 23rd September 2010, 02:40 PM   #123
pooge is offline pooge  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
Pooge,
nobody is "dissing" anybody... I looked at your links, and to me they don't appear to show what you are trying to discuss. The feedback comments relate to the circuit you posted the link too, and that doesn't have the feedback network you are talking about.

It's not up to the reader to go hunting through pages of stuff (where ever they may be)... and I haven't a clue what and where "page 338" is.

Don't assume knowledge or that everyone knows what you are talking about
I think I am entitled to that assumption. I assumed that when I post a link for discussion, people responding would actually read it. Page 338 is in the article linked in my ORIGINAL post (#108, if further help is needed). What more do you need? The remaining links CLEARLY show the SAME concept, especially in regard to the topic of my original post. Self gave short shrift to the Leach "input inclusive compensation scheme" in his article. I didn't see it as such a scheme.

Last edited by pooge; 23rd September 2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 26th September 2010, 06:41 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

Default Review?

A question to all of you who ordered and received Linear Audio Volume 0. I would be very interested in your opinion on our first issue.

There's an area at Linear Audio | your tech audio resource, on the order page, where you can leave a review, you need to log in with your customer login for that.
There's also a 'poll' area which you can access at the home page.
Lastly, you can always send me an email to jan AT linearaudio DOT net.

I am really interested in your opinion so I can take it into account for the next issue.

thanks, jan didden
Old 26th September 2010, 08:52 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
I believe that Doug calls both cases 'input-inclusive compensation' because the compensation is not returned to the Vas input but to the input stage.
I see this also in Leach's paper (figs 1 & 2).

It also seems that what Leach calls feedforward is 'taking the (high freq) feedback signal from a point "forward" (before) the output stage'. I wouldn't call that feedforward.

Where's Edmond when you need him ?

jan didden
As in most cases, there exists more than only one view. Remember the discussion about HEC, that went on for a couple of years. Although all (three!) views were valid, not all of them were of equal value. The same applies here. In this case that means that we should look at the rationale behind Leach's approach in the first place. Let me cite Leach himself:
'Feedback amplifier stability can be improved if the output stage is bypassed in the loop-gain transfer function at frequencies above the audio band.This removes a possible pole from the transfer function caused by the output stage when driving a load capacitance. The method of bypassing the output stage at high frequencies is a feedforward technique.'
Clearly, this approach differs significantly from the Miller compensation and as such calling it an "input inclusive [Miller] compensation scheme" seems to me less appropriate.

Whether the term 'feedforward, is correct depends on which direction you are looking, IOW, rather a matter of semantics.

Cheers,
E.
Old 26th September 2010, 10:29 PM   #126
Cobra2 is offline Cobra2  Norway
DIY !
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cobra2
I'm still waiting for mine...

Arne K
Old 26th September 2010, 11:45 PM   #127
diyAudio Member

Gee Jan,

All that techie stuff is way above my level. Good thing you included pictures.

You were right, my article suffered from the re-write. However when I Google "IC holder foam notebook", I get nothing related, wait a year and I bet you find many hits claiming the idea.

So when do you start selling advertising, kits, etc? Or don't you think the air is thin on the high road?

(I am finishing my income producing project next week, will look at redoing curves in a bit.)

ES
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Louisville Arena Authority-20100926-193511.jpg (589.5 KB, 228 views)
Old 27th September 2010, 12:36 PM   #128
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Did anyone mention the missing chunk from Joachim's interesting article?
Old 27th September 2010, 01:00 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Mr Gerhard did, but rubbed it out again.

(i was hoping we'd get an addendum from the triangular twilight zone down under )
Old 27th September 2010, 01:06 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Never prints have the missing page. It is about the biasing of the BJT cascodes. This is a bit unusual because it is groud referenced. This gives a measure of lokal current feedback and does not need a seperate bias source.

Hide this!Advertise here!