New Linear Audio publication!

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Dear Jan,

I just realized that this was the last linear audio volume I have got/bought from you.
A sad day for me and all analog/linear audio DIYers.
Many thanks for your hard work as publisher and many thanks to all authors!

Toni

Well, there's a time for everything. It was as I wrote a great adventure and the way our authors stepped up and gave freely of their time and expertise was absolutely amazing.

This is a great hobby of ours and we need to keep it alive!

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
My stock is drawing down...

Linear Audio stock is slowly drawing down... but don't fear!

You have been ordering single Volumes and Packages steadily, and I am now at the point where stocks are getting quite low. But I want to ensure availability of Volumes for those of you who want to stretch out getting the whole collection.

I am in the process of transferring all Linear Audio publications to Amazon.com. As of this moment, Volume 12 can only be ordered at Amazon, as my stock of V12 is zero.

Several other Volumes have already been transferred to Amazon as well, but I still have stock. Linear Audio orders are still somewhat cheaper than Amazon; and the Package deals are only available from Linear Audio anyway. The same goes for the Baxandall & Self and the Audio Power Amplifiers books.

There's no hurry; Linear Audio will always be available, although the best deals are there only as long as my stocks last.

Jan

Unfortunately, Kindle is the fastest way to get your book pirated. The Kindle DRMs have been broken, and software is readily available that will cleanly and perfectly convert the Kindle file to PDF. Pirated versions of my book were available about 2 months after the Kindle version came out. Kindle versions of books have a different ISBN, so it is easy to tell that the pirated PDF originated from a Kindle file. Kindle is not the best platform for technical "reference" books anyway. Only 10% of all of my book sales were Kindle sales, but 100% of the pirated copies originated from the Kindle version.

Cheers,
Bob

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That's terrible Bob! But I agree that for 'our' kind of books, where people want to look things up, page to and fro, Kindle is probably not the best anyway.
Someone gave me a Sony e-reader with about 4000 titles. You know what? I use it less than 4 or 5 times a year, in very specific circumstances. It's just not my thing.

Now, the reMarkable may just be the ticket for us kind of people. A sort of perpetual notebook you can have at your bench, making notes, annotating (pdf) circuit diagrams and graphs, that kind of thing. Expensive, but I feel I am am slowly caving in...

Edit: actually Bob I think they know you, see attached ;-)

Jan

Attachments

• bob.PNG
    bob.PNG
    488 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:
"Linear Audio" Packages...

Hi,

I just noticed that "Linear Audio" offers packaged bundles of 4, 6, or 10 volumes at a discount over the individual volume price.

I'm intrigued. Which 6 volumes would you place in your bundle? Or failing that, what were the 6 most popular volumes?

My interests are general, but I do tend to gravitate towards power supply and amplifier design.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Regards,

Rob

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
New Linear Audio pub!

Yeah, couldn’t leave well enough alone...

I found this amazing book from audio legend Norman Crowhurst, with George
Cooper. Couldn't resist a reprint: Hi-fidelity circuit design

In the years after the 2nd World War, technical and technological developments in all areas of sound recording and reproduction took off. Better parts and deeper technological insights led to increased sound quality. Authors Crowhurst and Cooper wrote many articles on high fidelity design subjects for Radio-Electronics magazine in the early 1950-ies. Because of the high interest for these articles, Gernsback Library decided to assemble the material into book form. To avoid overlap and to ensure a consistent coverage of all material, the original authors were recruited to to edit, rewrite, add and assemble the material into this book.

As the authors themselves put it, this book will prove valuable not just for the budding enthusiast without much formal theoretical knowledge, but as well for those who have an advanced understanding of the subjects, but need some help to visualize some of the problems in high-fidelity design. This book is an excellent primer for basic knowledge and as an invaluable reference in any designers' library. To quote from the introduction: having a good reference is so much easier than memorizing it all!

The book contains 15 chapters, which each address a particular area in high-fidelity audio design, grouped in two parts:

Part 1 – Feedback: Feedback effects, Analysis and design, Response and stability, Distortion, Extending design factors;

Part 2 – Design and Testing Techniques: Drivers and inverters, Power supplies, Attenuators, Filters and equalizers, Scope test procedures, Speaker systems, Advanced techniques, High-power amplifiers, Test equipment design, Improving old amplifiers.

A detailed index completes the book, bringing the page count to over 300. A book that covers the complete width and breadth of tube-based high-fidelity audio design in a single volume. Unique, and still very much up-to-date. Recommended for your library.

This is print-on-demand available from Lulu. You can browse some of the content at the site.

Jan

Attachments

• diyweb cropped.jpg
    diyweb cropped.jpg
    674.8 KB · Views: 291
Last edited by a moderator: