New Linear Audio publication!

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello Jan,

I can't remember if I got an email, but I ordered the first day it was available.

I figure if it has reached New Jersey, Ohio can't be far behind.

Since I have the microphone for a moment: thank you for putting together such a nice publication. It must take a great deal of effort, and I'm grateful beneficiary.

As far as I can see it was shipped 3 Sept.
And thank you for the kind words - indeed it is a LOT of work, and doesn't really make any money, but I'll continue as long as I like it. Your words help.

The greatest benefit for me is that I get to virtually meet all these great authors! There's so much ingenuity, creativity and downright smartness floating around, it would be a shame to just let it float.

Plus, I get to read all the articles first ;)

jan

I just ordered a bunch of LS844 JFETs -- Bob's VinylTrak article makes the issue of cartridge matching understandable. He's a very good technical writer.

Thanks for the kind words. I am a big fan of Linear Integrated Systems dual JFETs. The LSK389, 4 of which I use in the MC preamp, are also a great part. The LIS people are nice to work with, and I hope the VinylTrak article will send some business their way.

Jan was very kind to give me as much space as he did in V4 but there was still more useful information. I am now in the process of getting that additional information up on my web page at CordellAudio.com - Home. There is already a brief descrioption up. Among other things, I'll be posting information about the control circuits and power supplies, and some technical updates.

Subsequent to publication in LA, I made a few tweaks and further noise measurements and they look even better. I'll get that information up as well. Ditto for distortion and overload margin. BUT, any such information will not reduce the need to read the article in LA. Stay tuned.

Cheers,
Bob

And thank you for the kind words - indeed it is a LOT of work, and doesn't really make any money, but I'll continue as long as I like it. Your words help.

The greatest benefit for me is that I get to virtually meet all these great authors! There's so much ingenuity, creativity and downright smartness floating around, it would be a shame to just let it float.

Plus, I get to read all the articles first ;)

jan

Jan, you have once again created a wonderful issue of LA. LA has added greatly to the vitality of our beloved activity. I am deeply honored to be an LA author.

Cheers,
Bob

When do you plan to make the supplementary available ?

Hi Joachim,

I am behind where I wanted to be in getting the supplementary VinylTrak information up on my site, and for that I apologize. I blame the eternal optimist in me. I am working furiously on it as we speak. I'll have at least some more of it up in less than 2 weeks.

Cheers,
Bob

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It´s a wonder that an english spoken forum with contributors all over the globe works at all !
Jan, you may not trusts your eyes but in another thread we are again beat to death the difference between slew rate and rise time. Some still think that it is the same.
When it gets to open loop and closed loop bandwidth the opinions are all over the place.

Today I was at the Elektor HQ to present what they call a Masterclass on feedback.
They will produce a DVD for their publication.
Tomorrow I will go back there to do a German version.

In this masterclass I explain that slew rate has nothing to do with feedback, and that phase shift is not the same as delay.
But it is sometimes frustrating, especially when you sense that it is not that they are incapable of understanding it, no, its because they REFUSE to understand it; they are ONLY interested in repeating their particular opinion and confuse that with facts.
Ahh, the vices of a post-fact society ;-)

jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Post-Fact-Society, i never heard THAT phrase but now everything falls into place !
Do what you think, make what you please. Is that the new freedom of thought ?

I can recommend 'True Enough - learning to live in a Post-Fact Society' by Farhad Manjoo (Wiley press). The post-fact thing is that any opinion is valid and 'true' - there is no difference between opinion and fact. In a sense, people construct their own personal truth and it is not necessary for this truth to be rooted in reality.

jan

I can recommend 'True Enough - learning to live in a Post-Fact Society' by Farhad Manjoo (Wiley press). The post-fact thing is that any opinion is valid and 'true' - there is no difference between opinion and fact. In a sense, people construct their own personal truth and it is not necessary for this truth to be rooted in reality.

jan

Subjective reality. It is the basis for a great deal of the well constructed(in opinion) ideas that shape our modern society.