New Linear Audio publication!

I haven't ordered the books yet, but I am assuming that the foam notebooks are similar to something I did in the S-100 / SS-50 home computer era (mid 70's). I must warn the readers of the eventual outcome. After 20+ years of being embedded in foam and south Florida humidity most of the IC's lost their legs. Some of the foam became rather crumbly too. It was no big deal losing a few hundred old TTL and LS series chips, but losing my collection of Mostek MK50240 top octave dividers sucked.....Until I got the idea of soldering the stubby remains of the chips onto some machine pin IC sockets.

Maybe most normal people don't keep things forever, but I still have my collection of germanium PNP transistors from high school. Great for making guitar fuzz boxes.

Gee,

I keep 4 CK722 germanium transistors in a frame on the wall, along with a TI7400 and a few other notables.

I have had semiconductors in foam, some for 35+ years, never had a lead corrode. Foam turns to grimy dust thought. So I have to agree with you it most likely is the Florida salt air. No wonder all the folks I see in Florida seem to look so old!

Thanks,

ES

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Maybe Jan will tell us what he says for just a few Euros? :D

Well you can always read the abstract on the site! ;)
But briefly, the idea is that if you have ideal square-law devices they only generate even harmonics, and then if you put two of them in push-pull the even harmonics cancel.
The devil of course being how to get ideal square-law devices.
And then there's the little matter of how that helps to make efficient class-A.
Ian's a pretty smart guy. He's also a great human being: quit his job to care for his ailing Dad, doing odd jobs to sustain himself. How's that for caring for your elders. That in itself earned my respect big-time.

jan

Hi Jan,
Just ordered my copy.
I now remember Ian's interest, back in 1995 in Electronics World, for what was called "D2S", "curvilinear class A" or, in France, "quadratic class A" by Hephaistos in L'Audiophile. Another nice circuit Ian submitted was an enhanced Sokol's equalizer for closed box, in fact an adjustable transform. I built it, it works very well.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Jan,
Just ordered my copy.
I now remember Ian's interest, back in 1995 in Electronics World, for what was called "D2S", "curvilinear class A" or, in France, "quadratic class A" by Hephaistos in L'Audiophile. Another nice circuit Ian submitted was an enhanced Sokol's equalizer for closed box, in fact an adjustable transform. I built it, it works very well.

I don't know about that Sokol circuit; can you send me something?
Anyway, Ian makes a distinction between square-law class-A (your quadratic class-A) and curvelinear class-A. Similar but not the same.

jan

No wonder all the folks I see in Florida seem to look so old!

There is a logical explanation for that......they ARE old! I am getting dangerously close to 60 myself, but I refuse to grow up, because when you grow up, you grow old. I will remain a kid forever. Always keep learning, because when you stop learning, you start dying. In that quest I ordered both books yesterday. When The book of Morgan 4th ed comes out I will have that one too.

I keep 4 CK722 germanium transistors in a frame on the wall

I fried all of those about 40 years ago. I still have some house numbered little guys, but I used to collect the big TO-36 germanium from the backs of 60's car radios. You could crank them pretty good before they blew up. I bought a box full of 2N3055's in the late 60's. Didn't blow them all up. I still have some of them.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There is a logical explanation for that......they ARE old! I am getting dangerously close to 60 myself, but I refuse to grow up, because when you grow up, you grow old. I will remain a kid forever. Always keep learning, because when you stop learning, you start dying. In that quest I ordered both books yesterday. When The book of Morgan 4th ed comes out I will have that one too. [snip].

Answered Woody Allen to the reporter: "No, I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality by not dying". :p

jan

Joined 2010
Paid Member
foamed out

Same routine here, the closer to salt water, the faster magic foam transforms to mummy dust.

Yep. I'd hate to count the millions of junked foam surround speakers with no surround!

OK - my sub. went in the inbox yesterday, Jan... I want to hear about some of these topics too!
Now, how about a poll for topics to distribute to authors - perhaps linked to a thread like this running between issues to discuss the merits?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Just curious, any chance that Erno Borbely or John Curl write articles for Linear Audio ?

I asked Erno but it seems he's really retired now. Not that he hasn't earned it; he gave more to the diy (and pro) audio community than all of us combined probably.
JC doesn't strike me as an author, don't think he was ever in writing articles (although he did write AES papers at one time).
What I am looking for is articles with a high standard of technical competence and consistency, and having some element of novelty, like new ways of looking at things or new circuit concepts.

jan didden

In Sunspicious mole state there's 2 choices

As you aluded to, there is a third choice, dying from skin cancer. One of my former bosses died of melanoma at age 54, Sherri's mother has been battling it for 4 years, but will likely lose her battle this year. All of us spent too much time in the Florida sun. Forum member Allen Wright recently succumbed to the same evil cancer.

I have had numerous small cancers removed over the past 10 years, including one stubborn tumor that took 6 surgeries to get rid of. I used to have a small sailboat and worked the evening shift. I was at the beach almost every weekday morning. I think I'm permanently toasted.

Yep. I'd hate to count the millions of junked foam surround speakers with no surround!

We sold those Jensen car speakers with the bright blue foam surround when I worked in a stereo store. When mounted on the rear deck of a car, they lasted 6 months to a year in the Florida sun. This pair lasted for 30+ years inside the house in a wood box. They finally suffered an overdose of Metallica. Note the 70's disco era Naugahyde and crushed velvet. The van that I drove back then had a similar interior design (Black Naugahyde and Blue velvet).

Now, how about a poll for topics to distribute to authors - perhaps linked to a thread like this running between issues to discuss the merits?

How about "Lets act like kids and blow stuff up" or "How to get 20 watts from a 5 watt amp". Told you I refuse to grow up.

Attachments

• 6BQ6GA_cranked_b.jpg
    6BQ6GA_cranked_b.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 251
  • BluRay_A.jpg
    BluRay_A.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 254
  • Speakers_A.jpg
    Speakers_A.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 253
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yechh!

The van that I drove back then had a similar interior design (Black Naugahyde and Blue velvet)...
OMG! 'nearly as bad as a van I used to moonlight doing lawns in back in the 70s. - Black Naugahyde with strawberry pink sateen lining - stone age Pioneer audio - fluffy pink carpet exterior - big cursive writing on the front:"The Pink Mouse" (apologies to our moderator) Sure, it had to be real cheap but you get the picture about not growin' up either, I guess. :cool: