New Linear Audio publication!

Who said there were three Magi?

Well, if you're going to conflate Middle Eastern and European mythologies, may as well end up with canonical distributions. After all, it's always three ("An Italian, an Irishman, and a Greek go into a bar..." "A priest, a rabbi, and a minister all start a game of golf..." "Moe, Larry, and Curly" "Winken, Blinken, and Nod"...).

I think that the origin of "three" represented the three gifts in the story. Presumably, each Magus only could afford one gift.

Or two hundred- there's an interesting admixture of co-opted European traditions in there. As well, the original story was not written contemporaneously; if memory serves, the date of the writing of the Matthew version of the story was somewhere around 100 CE. Add a few centuries of artists and storytellers, not to mention politics, and what is "known" becomes increasingly unlikely (as in "anachronistic"). I'm often reminded of the Sherlock Holmes movies where the detective is pursuing Nazis.

If this develops into a theological debate we will both get our knuckles rapped by the mods! My understanding is that the gospels are nearer to contemporaneous than most other historical accounts of that era, and have significantly better manuscript evidence. The actual date depends on assumptions, but could be as early as 50AD or as late as 70AD+. (according to NIV Study Bible)

On the topic of this thread, I've regrettably not bought any of these publications (yet), but seeing mention of a mic preamp brings this to mind: The "Hitler Mic"

Every so often I get requests for a "prop" oldie microphone. The models they have in mind change as soon as I explain the type they want is stuck in their mind from pictures of Hitler addressing the public!

I then provide actual antiques of the right vintage and country of manufacture for their purposes. I actually took in enough money from one of those rentals to fund my cash needs to do a major league ballpark project!

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Vol 3 see the light!

Phew! Another finished job - Linear Audio Volume 3 is on the streets now.
All article abstracts and author bio's as usual at Linear Audio | your tech audio resource.

I am again impressed with the authors who stepped forward to deliver articles of great interest and expertise. There's so much technical and perception audio knowledge and experience floating around that it would be a shame to let it just drift.

See the Table of Contents attached.
Hope you like it (again!).

jan

Attachments

• ToC extracted.pdf
    41.8 KB · Views: 123
  • Volume 3 cover front.jpg
    Volume 3 cover front.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 215
  • Volume 3 cover back 950k.jpg
    Volume 3 cover back 950k.jpg
    578.8 KB · Views: 214