how to hook up 4 speakers and 2 subs - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2010, 07:21 AM   #1
ghjkg is offline ghjkg  United States
diyAudio Member

Default how to hook up 4 speakers and 2 subs

I want to hook up 4 speakers and 2 subs in my boat, but i don't wnat type of amp to use. i'm thinking of getting either a 4-channel or 6-channel amp, but don't know which one would be better. Also i wanted to know, if i bridge 2 speakers together at 4ohms with a rms rating of 50, can i wire them to a channel of a 4-channel amp when the amp is 90 watts by 4 channels at 4ohms, without blowing the speakers.
Old 7th August 2010, 09:28 AM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

You need a 5 or 6 channel amp and an active crossover to split the signal between subs and main speakers.

What do you mean by bridge speakers? You bridge amps, speakers you connect in series or parallel. In your case if the speakers a 4 ohms you won't be able to bridge the amp.
Old 7th August 2010, 04:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

alright, so i found a 5-channel class AB amp with class D sub channel, so can hook the subs in a series to the sub channel.
And also if the watts are 210 RMS for the sub channel at 4 ohms, will the subs blow cause their rating is 100 watts RMS at 4ohms.
Old 7th August 2010, 04:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

alright, yeah i didn't what it was so i just said bridge, but yeah i found a 5-channel AB amp with a class D sub channel. so can i hook the 2 subs in a series to that one channel when it is 210 watts at 4 ohms and the subs RMS rating is 100. Will the subs blow with that setup.
Old 7th August 2010, 04:19 PM   #5
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

No they won't blow unless you push the amp too hard. I know it sounds funny but the easiest way to blow a speaker is by using an under powered amp. When you push an amp too hard it actually sends out pulses of power that can be 10X the rated power of the amp. It's called clipping. This quickly turns things like tweeters into paperweights. Woofers not so much but you get the idea.

Hide this!Advertise here!