how to hook up 4 speakers and 2 subs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to hook up 4 speakers and 2 subs in my boat, but i don't wnat type of amp to use. i'm thinking of getting either a 4-channel or 6-channel amp, but don't know which one would be better. Also i wanted to know, if i bridge 2 speakers together at 4ohms with a rms rating of 50, can i wire them to a channel of a 4-channel amp when the amp is 90 watts by 4 channels at 4ohms, without blowing the speakers.

alright, so i found a 5-channel class AB amp with class D sub channel, so can hook the subs in a series to the sub channel.
And also if the watts are 210 RMS for the sub channel at 4 ohms, will the subs blow cause their rating is 100 watts RMS at 4ohms.

alright, yeah i didn't what it was so i just said bridge, but yeah i found a 5-channel AB amp with a class D sub channel. so can i hook the 2 subs in a series to that one channel when it is 210 watts at 4 ohms and the subs RMS rating is 100. Will the subs blow with that setup.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
No they won't blow unless you push the amp too hard. I know it sounds funny but the easiest way to blow a speaker is by using an under powered amp. When you push an amp too hard it actually sends out pulses of power that can be 10X the rated power of the amp. It's called clipping. This quickly turns things like tweeters into paperweights. Woofers not so much but you get the idea.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.