DIY speaker cables

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to build some diy speaker cables. Planning to move beyond the typical figure 8 cables to something better.

2 options that I'm considering:

1. UBYTE 2 at TNT audio - The UBYTE-2 Speaker Cable

Essentially this uses coax TV satellite cable with a solid copper core and shielding. Two coax where the centre of one and the shield of the adjacent coax are combined.

2. High power coax RG 213/U

Where + goes down centre and - to the braid

Any comments on these options?

I believe both options focus on low R and low inductance and are prepared to tolerate higher capacitance. Apparently this is typical of high end pricey cables like Kimber, Goertz, etc.

I was hoping for more than "do xyz." I'm trying to get my head around the theory. Not so much "monkey see monkey do" but ABC is better because ...

I have some more specific questions ...

1. Any suggestions on how I can determine which amps will have a problem with the high capacitance?
2. What kind of power capacity can I expect from these coax cables? (My amps range from 50 - 650w)
3. Is there any special measurement technique for measuring cables (compared to using a DMM)
4. Any thoughts on the two different cable examples
5. Would you design cables differently for treble, midrange and bass - how and why?
6. How do you reduce the inductance and resistance of a cable?
7. What is the impact of thickness?
8. What is the impact of having + and - conductors spaced apart?
9. Anyone know the approximate cost of Goertz cable? Just out of curiosity.
10. How would you describe the impact of L R and C? What is their relative importance and why?

To reduce the resistance, use bigger wire. To reduce the inductance decrease the loop area, say twist the conductors together. Almost anything you do to decrease inductance will increase capacitance and vice versa. I don't buy into most of the cable arguments and just use heavy zip cord, but you might also think about the dielectric material. If shielded cable has any benefits, it probably comes from keeping RF out of the amplifier output terminals. IMO, the braided ribbon designs look more interesting.

Any suggestions on how I can determine which amps will have a problem with the high capacitance?
None of the modern ones should. Some even have an internal shunt capacitance a significant fraction of a uF inside. Valve amplifiers might have problems but I'm not sure.
2. What kind of power capacity can I expect from these coax cables? (My amps range from 50 - 650w)
Common RG6 has an 18AWG core so it should be good for something like 10A. That's 800W at 8 ohms.
Would you design cables differently for treble, midrange and bass - how and why?
No, the frequency is all too low to really worry about it.

UBYTE coax source for the US

PCS electronics USA can get aircom plus coax, which is copper braid and foil shielded. Just what the Dr. (TNT) ordered, if you're trying to make the UBYTE cables. Price ~100USD/25m + reasonable shipping. He may sell it per foot as well.

PCS Electronics USA
Mr. Chris Rea
8725 West Sunset Road
Suite 200
Niles, IL 60714
EE.UU.
Tel.: 847-292-1498
Fax: 847-292-1495
rfengineer8@comcast.net

Give him a call. Nice guy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.