SPL Society - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2010, 11:44 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Williham
Default SPL Society

Hey everyone, I just wanted to share with everyone a few of my plans.
Basically me and a friend at Sussex University have decided that we are going to start a society based on the following ideas:
-Building a fully functional, high power, high quality PA system
-Throwing Free parties in Brighton, events at clubs and at both Unis
-Having a place where DJs can meet and share songs, interest and teach people who are playing with the idea of trying their hand at it.
-Gathering all Audio enthuisiasts in Brighton together, to compare systems, Hifi, mods, etc

So its going to be very DIY orientated; we will be funding it all with personal cash, hopefully the Uni will help out and and money made at events.

Thats about it, so if your in or around Brighton area then give me a shout! Or if your on ye Olde Facebook, check out this:
Girls should make the first move, and that first move should be a sandwich. Boxes | Facebook

Also if anyone has any experience with this sorta thing, I am very open to advice and any help I can get.

Cheers,
Will
Old 11th July 2010, 05:40 PM   #2
star882 is offline star882  United States
diyAudio Member

How many watts do you consider "high power"? There are TI hybrid chips good for up to 600W per channel. Above that, it would be a much more involved design using discrete MOSFETs or IGBTs.
Old 12th July 2010, 08:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

High Power... Well I want at least 20KW of bass bins and corresponding amplifiers, erm, a good 10KW for mids and another 5KW or so for highs?
I don't really know to be honest, that's a very long term goal.
The TI chips sound interesting though, I'm going to have to look at that, is that 600W into 8Ohms?
My current Kit consists of some custom Cabs with some 15" drivers that I can't identify; they're called "Eminence Decimators", and I think a company called Custom Sound had something to do with it. They also have two Motorola Piezo tweeters per speaker.
For an amp I'm using a Matrix UKP1000, which isn't quite fully working, there's distortion on one channel.
Old 12th July 2010, 10:52 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williham View Post
High Power... Well I want at least 20KW of bass bins and corresponding amplifiers, erm, a good 10KW for mids and another 5KW or so for highs?
Where do you plan to plug that lot in? You can get 3kW out of a standard double socket, so maybe work on that? As a thought, a system with a 12" mid-high cab, with an 18" sub per side (properly horn loaded for maximum efficiency), each with it's own 600w amplifier. You'd be going places then... It'd certainly be enough for club use.
Old 12th July 2010, 12:04 PM   #5
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

1kW into a good bass bin is a lot.
1kW into a horn loaded bass is more than a lot.
1kW into each of a pair of stacked hornloaded bass is even more than an awful lot.

2kW into a pair of 90dB/W @ 10m listening distance is going to satisfy most audiences indoors.

There is no need for 20kW.
Old 12th July 2010, 01:37 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

No need?
Explain this:
Valve Sound System

If I was using it in a club then yeah, your right I wouldn't need that ridiculous amount; however I'm going to be throwing some pretty big free parties in Brighton, in big open fields, where I'm sure that a stupid amount of power would come in handy. Maybe 10KW is still a bit of an exaggeration though.

Didn't realise you could only get 3Kw from a wall socket.. Hmmm, many wall sockets?

It is all in planning stage right now so this is all good information, cheers guys.
Old 12th July 2010, 03:06 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williham View Post
I'm going to be throwing some pretty big free parties in Brighton, in big open fields,

Didn't realise you could only get 3Kw from a wall socket.. Hmmm, many wall sockets?
these two statements show you are way out of your depth.
I hope some of your colleagues have some safety sense.
Old 12th July 2010, 05:05 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yeah, 13A fuses, x230v = near enough to 3000w.

PA Systems - something to read.

Put it this way, 100w and a pair of 12" speakers will be at talking volume 100m away (outdoors, but near a building). More speakers = more projection, especially when stacked vertically.

By stacking the speakers vertically, you limit the vertical dispersion, thus improving projected SPL (it's no longer omni-directional). I proved this theory to myself when I put the 12" cabs one on top of the other. The only problem was, due to the interaction of the tweeters, there was a very small "rip your ears off" zone, where there was a horrendous amount of treble. The solution: disconnect one of the tweeters!

Anyway, working to 3kW ensures your system can be used anywhere. Constantly blowing fuses isn't particularly good to listen to, and replacing the fuse with a 6" nail is plain dangerous.
Old 12th July 2010, 05:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
these two statements show you are way out of your depth.
I hope some of your colleagues have some safety sense.
Dude, that doesn't need to be said. Plus it was a joke, hence ""...
I'm new at this and want to learn exactly how to do this, I've started it as a project with a University friend to try have some fun and act as a learning experience.

Chris, cheers for the advice. I knew stacking provides some improvements but I wasn't sure how..

As it seems that high power is a lot less necessary than I thought, I think we may focus on high quality and efficiency instead.

Was also wondering, if wall sockets only provide 3KW, how do this big mental rigs in say, Fabric for example, or Digital power their rigs?

Last edited by Williham; 12th July 2010 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Didn't want to double post..
Old 12th July 2010, 10:28 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I am not joking.
Your health is too important.

Hide this!Advertise here!