Tale of bad capacitors taking a company down

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In today's New York Times:

In Faulty-Computer Suit, Window to Dell Decline
By ASHLEE VANCE

After the math department at the University of Texas noticed some of its Dell computers failing, Dell examined the machines. The company came up with an unusual reason for the computers’ demise: the school had overtaxed the machines by making them perform difficult math calculations.

Dell, however, had actually sent the university, in Austin, desktop PCs riddled with faulty electrical components that were leaking chemicals and causing the malfunctions. Dell sold millions of these computers from 2003 to 2005 to major companies like Wal-Mart and Wells Fargo, institutions like the Mayo Clinic and small businesses.

“The funny thing was that every one of them went bad at the same time,” said Greg Barry, the president of PointSolve, a technology services company near Philadelphia that had bought dozens. “It’s unheard-of, but Dell didn’t seem to recognize this as a problem at the time.”

Documents recently unsealed in a three-year-old lawsuit against Dell show that the company’s employees were actually aware that the computers were likely to break. Still, the employees tried to play down the problem to customers and allowed customers to rely on trouble-prone machines, putting their businesses at risk. Even the firm defending Dell in the lawsuit was affected when Dell balked at fixing 1,000 suspect computers, according to e-mail messages revealed in the dispute.

The documents chronicling the failure of the PCs also help explain the decline of one of America’s most celebrated and admired companies. Perhaps more than any other company, Dell fought to lower the price of computers.

Its “Dell model” became synonymous with efficiency, outsourcing and tight inventories, and was taught at the Harvard Business School and other top-notch management schools as a paragon of business smarts and outthinking the competition.

“Dell, as a company, was the model everyone focused on 10 years ago,” said David B. Yoffie, a professor of international business administration at Harvard. “But when you combine missing a variety of shifts in the industry with management turmoil, it’s hard not to have the shine come off your reputation.”

For the last seven years, the company has been plagued by serious problems, including misreading the desires of its customers, poor customer service, suspect product quality and improper accounting.

Dell has tried to put those problems behind it. In 2005, it announced it was taking a $300 million charge related, in part, to fixing and replacing the troubled computers. Dell set aside $100 million this month to handle a potential settlement with the Securities and Exchange Commission over a five-year-old investigation into its books, which will most likely result in federal accusations of fraud and misconduct against the company’s founder, Michael S. Dell.

The problems affecting the Dell computers stemmed from an industrywide encounter with bad capacitors produced by Asian PC component suppliers. Capacitors are found on computer motherboards, playing a crucial role in the flow of current across the hardware. They are not meant to pop and leak fluid, but that is exactly what was happening earlier this decade, causing computers made by Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Apple and others to break.

According to company memorandums and other documents recently unsealed in a civil case against Dell in Federal District Court in North Carolina, Dell appears to have suffered from the bad capacitors, made by a company called Nichicon, far more than its rivals. Internal documents show that Dell shipped at least 11.8 million computers from May 2003 to July 2005 that were at risk of failing because of the faulty components. These were Dell’s OptiPlex desktop computers — the company’s mainstream products sold to business and government customers.

A study by Dell found that OptiPlex computers affected by the bad capacitors were expected to cause problems up to 97 percent of the time over a three-year period, according to the lawsuit.

As complaints mounted, Dell hired a contractor to investigate the situation. According to a Dell filing in the lawsuit, which has not yet gone to trial, the contractor found that 10 times more computers were at risk of failing than Dell had estimated. Making problems worse, Dell replaced faulty motherboards with other faulty motherboards, according to the contractor’s findings.

But Dell employees went out of their way to conceal these problems. In one e-mail exchange between Dell customer support employees concerning computers at the Simpson Thacher & Bartlett law firm, a Dell worker states, “We need to avoid all language indicating the boards were bad or had ‘issues’ per our discussion this morning.”

In other documents about how to handle questions around the faulty OptiPlex systems, Dell salespeople were told, “Don’t bring this to customer’s attention proactively” and “Emphasize uncertainty.”

“They were fixing bad computers with bad computers and were misleading customers at the same time,” said Ira Winkler, a former computer analyst for the National Security Agency and a technology consultant. “They knew millions of computers would be out there causing inevitable damage and were not giving people an opportunity to fix that damage.”

Mr. Winkler served as the expert witness for Advanced Internet Technologies, which filed the lawsuit in 2007, saying that Dell had refused to take responsibility for 2,000 computers it sold A.I.T., an Internet services company. A.I.T. said that it had lost millions of dollars in business as a result. Clarence E. Briggs, the chief executive of A.I.T., declined to comment on the lawsuit.

Some of the documents in the case that were sealed under a protective order became public this month. Those documents show that after A.I.T. complained, Dell representatives looked at the failed computers and contended that A.I.T. had driven many of the computers too hard in a hot, confined space. Dell’s sales representatives discussed trying to sell A.I.T. more expensive computers as a resolution.

Jess Blackburn, a Dell spokesman, said the company would not comment on pending litigation. Lawyers for Dell deny A.I.T.’s claims, and contend that A.I.T. has cherrypicked and misinterpreted documents in the case. Dell’s lawyers wrote in a response to A.I.T.: “There was a Nichicon problem, and it affected different customers in different ways.”

In addition to the charge, Dell extended its warranty on the systems and often replaced computers when customers complained. (In 2007, Dell restated its earnings for 2003 to 2006, as well as the first quarter of 2007, and lowered its sales and net income totals for that period. An audit revealed that Dell employees had manipulated financial results to meet growth targets.)

But, as Dell did not recall the computers, many of Dell’s OptiPlex customers may be unaware that they had problematic computers or realize why their computers broke. A.I.T. says in court documents that the faulty capacitors touched off a variety of other problems that were often misdiagnosed. Dell could potentially face a raft of new complaints from some of its biggest customers.

Crucially, in their complaints to Dell in the lawsuit, customers describe losing valuable information when their computers malfunctioned. Dell, by contrast, denied that that the capacitor issue had caused data loss.

Dell’s supply chain had always stood out as one of its important assets. The company kept costs low by limiting its inventory and squeezing suppliers. If prices for components changed, Dell could react more quickly than its competitors, offering customers the latest parts at the lowest cost.

But the hundreds of Dell internal documents produced in the lawsuit show a company whose supply chain had collapsed as it failed to find working motherboards for its customers, including the firm representing Dell in the lawsuit, Alston & Bird.

According to a person who saw Dell’s 2005 internal communications, company executives carefully devised a public relations policy around the OptiPlex situation. Mr. Dell and Kevin B. Rollins, then Dell’s chief executive, were told that the news media would be informed of Dell’s commitment to fix any systems that failed, that Dell was working with customers to resolve problems in the most effective manner possible and that the problems posed no safety or data loss risk.

Carey Holzman, a computer expert who investigated the capacitor problems and collected photos from people with broken motherboards, had a different take on the safety situation.

“Of course it’s dangerous,” Mr. Holzman said. “Having leaking capacitors is a huge problem.” He found that the capacitor problems could cause computers to catch fire.

As late as 2008, after Mr. Dell had replaced Mr. Rollins and returned as chief executive, Dell continued to circulate internal memorandums trying to deal with the fallout from the capacitor situation. Dell salespeople, according to the lawsuit, fretted that technology directors at companies who used to buy from Dell could “justify their job” by advising their companies of Dell’s PC failures and recommending the purchase of H.P. and Lenovo computers.

To counter such lingering bad impressions, Dell salespeople were told to emphasize that the company’s direct model allowed it to identify and fix problems faster than competitors.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
:mad:

I have to pass this on to a coworker. He was on the ground floor when Dell took off, and one of the key architects in the factory that permitted their explosive growth. He's had feedback for some time that Dell stopped doing things the way that they used to do it and were getting very sloppy.

Which also explains why last year, my Dell workstation stopped working. I opened the case and found 12 caps popped open, oozing fluid all over the motherboard. It was already 6 years old, but I've had others run much longer.

They are practically in my backyard. Through the grapevine, we're hearing things are not so rosy at Dell. It's not just caps that are killing them. They abandoned what made them great.

" ....I purchased it in 2004. I opened up the computer and looked at the motherboard. I don't see any obvious capacitor issues. The computer is seldom used but it does function properly....."

Maybe that's why it's still OK ( 'seldom used'). It's number of hours of usage that matters.

" ....I purchased it in 2004. I opened up the computer and looked at the motherboard. I don't see any obvious capacitor issues. The computer is seldom used but it does function properly....."

Maybe that's why it's still OK ( 'seldom used'). It's number of hours of usage that matters.

In most applications where large Co's purchase thousands of PC's...they are running continuously 24/7. There in lies the problem.

For many years, the computer operated 24/7. I'll keep an eye on the caps for signs of failure. Because of the age of the computer, it's not worth re-capping. Everything on the HDD is backed-up.

In today's New York Times:

Dell’s supply chain had always stood out as one of its important assets. The company kept costs low by limiting its inventory and squeezing suppliers. If prices for components changed, Dell could react more quickly than its competitors, offering customers the latest parts at the lowest cost.

General Electric showed back in the 1970s that it is not worth it to go with the cheaper part should even one of those parts fail in the field. The cost of shipping alone will often be more than the difference in cost, moreover, it can be more than the difference between several parts!

In fact the cost of shipping and loss of goodwill can cost all profitability. A company that some of you may remember in high end audio called Fourier made an OTL that had some power supply caps marked 'Bindu'. Not only were the caps suspect to begin with, but Fourier pushed their luck by running the parts beyond the marked specs. A good quality part may have stood up to this but one that is suspect on name alone...

Explosions ensued and it was not long before Fourier was not taking phone calls.

This lesson does seem to play out a lot. Dell was obviously no market hero but just another in a long string that felt they would somehow be unharmed while staring down the shotgun barrels. 'Good Business' is oxymoronic unless everyone in the supply chain to the customer benefits.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
My coworker just got back from lunch and he is reading the article right now. He skimmed the first paragraph and just started laughing.

He has told me before that once the money started rolling into Dell, the greedy rats started to appear and started fighting them on their inventory and quality processes. He just remarked that all went to pot when HR started hiring people it deemed suitable for the job and took that power away from managers on the floor.

Wasn't there an entire back end to this story related to industrial espionage and stolen electrolyte formulas?
Whenever a computer device fails here, caps are now the first thing checked. If signs of failure are discovered the caps in still functioning gear are automatically replaced where practical. BenQ LCD monitors for example.

Sounds like a very old story re-told. I remember lots of similar reports years ago.

Probably the author's revenge because he phoned the Dell helpline and they told him he was to stupid to use a computer. And to put it back in the original package and ship it back to Dell.

Or he is an apple fanboy. ;)

Capacitor plague - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Since this is a Dell town, most everyone I know has a Dell. I mentioned it to another coworker and her husband's Dell just tanked last month...yes, leaking caps.

My buddy said it is obvious to him that all the folks who had any guts to tell the execs that they were stopping production have been conveniently let go from Dell for some time.

This story will definitely be making waves in town.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Sorry, Bas. I can't agree this is just a writer with a gripe. Even if he does have a bone to pick, I know many people who have worked at Dell as I worked in the same industry at a time when we were Dell's equal in this town, Austin.

Problems have been brewing for some time as workers have been bled off from there.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
An old story and I had these troubles at the company I worked for at that time. It were specifically Optiplex GX270 and GX280 computers (amongst others) that were fitted with A-brand electrolytic low ESR caps from Nichicon. I forgot the exact series ( HN or HM or even both ) but I recall that Dell advised us to look for a X shaped vent at the top of the cap which seemed unlogical to me as it was a series problem of a specific series. When they had a K or H shaped vent they were indeed faulty. Dell just reacted like in the article by denying etc. but since I am no beginner in electronics we ended up in an agreement to replace batches of 20 pc's in the evenings. It was not long when they had a shortage of replacement boards. They did send the old ones back to China/Taiwan for recapping.

This was after the scandal with the stolen formula and the Lelon/G-Luxon/Jackcon etc. companies that produced millions of caps with the now famous wrongly manufactured electrolyte. No, Nichicon appeared to have contaminations in the electrolyte they used.

Not only Dell had problems, Apple has had the same problems with Imac G5 machines so there is no fanboy issue Bas. Although Apple machines can go faulty too I wouldn't trade mine for a Dell with Windows even if you gave money with it. Once you go OS X there is no way back.

http://monkey.org/~blandoon/gfx/caps/

Last edited:
Sorry, Bas. I can't agree this is just a writer with a gripe
You don't have to agree with me sonidos ;)

I'm just posting an different perspective. I read about these motherboards years ago. HP and Apple had the same problems.

Again. I'm not saying this is the case but I think people in Austin are let go because US workers are to expensive.

And now China's workers too. I heard on the radio today that Apple is going to shift production to somewhere else because the Chinese wages are going up as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.