Tale of bad capacitors taking a company down - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2010, 05:43 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
In today's New York Times:

Dell’s supply chain had always stood out as one of its important assets. The company kept costs low by limiting its inventory and squeezing suppliers. If prices for components changed, Dell could react more quickly than its competitors, offering customers the latest parts at the lowest cost.
General Electric showed back in the 1970s that it is not worth it to go with the cheaper part should even one of those parts fail in the field. The cost of shipping alone will often be more than the difference in cost, moreover, it can be more than the difference between several parts!

In fact the cost of shipping and loss of goodwill can cost all profitability. A company that some of you may remember in high end audio called Fourier made an OTL that had some power supply caps marked 'Bindu'. Not only were the caps suspect to begin with, but Fourier pushed their luck by running the parts beyond the marked specs. A good quality part may have stood up to this but one that is suspect on name alone...

Explosions ensued and it was not long before Fourier was not taking phone calls.

This lesson does seem to play out a lot. Dell was obviously no market hero but just another in a long string that felt they would somehow be unharmed while staring down the shotgun barrels. 'Good Business' is oxymoronic unless everyone in the supply chain to the customer benefits.
Old 29th June 2010, 05:58 PM   #12
sonidos is offline sonidos  United States
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member

My coworker just got back from lunch and he is reading the article right now. He skimmed the first paragraph and just started laughing.

He has told me before that once the money started rolling into Dell, the greedy rats started to appear and started fighting them on their inventory and quality processes. He just remarked that all went to pot when HR started hiring people it deemed suitable for the job and took that power away from managers on the floor.
Old 29th June 2010, 06:01 PM   #13
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Wasn't there an entire back end to this story related to industrial espionage and stolen electrolyte formulas?
Whenever a computer device fails here, caps are now the first thing checked. If signs of failure are discovered the caps in still functioning gear are automatically replaced where practical. BenQ LCD monitors for example.
Old 29th June 2010, 06:14 PM   #14
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a very old story re-told. I remember lots of similar reports years ago.

Probably the author's revenge because he phoned the Dell helpline and they told him he was to stupid to use a computer. And to put it back in the original package and ship it back to Dell.

Or he is an apple fanboy.

Capacitor plague - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Bas Horneman; 29th June 2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 29th June 2010, 06:19 PM   #15
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member

Since this is a Dell town, most everyone I know has a Dell. I mentioned it to another coworker and her husband's Dell just tanked last month...yes, leaking caps.

My buddy said it is obvious to him that all the folks who had any guts to tell the execs that they were stopping production have been conveniently let go from Dell for some time.

This story will definitely be making waves in town.
Old 29th June 2010, 06:23 PM   #16
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member

Sorry, Bas. I can't agree this is just a writer with a gripe. Even if he does have a bone to pick, I know many people who have worked at Dell as I worked in the same industry at a time when we were Dell's equal in this town, Austin.

Problems have been brewing for some time as workers have been bled off from there.
Old 29th June 2010, 06:26 PM   #17

An old story and I had these troubles at the company I worked for at that time. It were specifically Optiplex GX270 and GX280 computers (amongst others) that were fitted with A-brand electrolytic low ESR caps from Nichicon. I forgot the exact series ( HN or HM or even both ) but I recall that Dell advised us to look for a X shaped vent at the top of the cap which seemed unlogical to me as it was a series problem of a specific series. When they had a K or H shaped vent they were indeed faulty. Dell just reacted like in the article by denying etc. but since I am no beginner in electronics we ended up in an agreement to replace batches of 20 pc's in the evenings. It was not long when they had a shortage of replacement boards. They did send the old ones back to China/Taiwan for recapping.

This was after the scandal with the stolen formula and the Lelon/G-Luxon/Jackcon etc. companies that produced millions of caps with the now famous wrongly manufactured electrolyte. No, Nichicon appeared to have contaminations in the electrolyte they used.

Not only Dell had problems, Apple has had the same problems with Imac G5 machines so there is no fanboy issue Bas. Although Apple machines can go faulty too I wouldn't trade mine for a Dell with Windows even if you gave money with it. Once you go OS X there is no way back.

http://monkey.org/~blandoon/gfx/caps/

Last edited by jean-paul; 29th June 2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 29th June 2010, 06:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Sorry, Bas. I can't agree this is just a writer with a gripe
You don't have to agree with me sonidos

I'm just posting an different perspective. I read about these motherboards years ago. HP and Apple had the same problems.

Again. I'm not saying this is the case but I think people in Austin are let go because US workers are to expensive.

And now China's workers too. I heard on the radio today that Apple is going to shift production to somewhere else because the Chinese wages are going up as well.
Old 29th June 2010, 06:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Apple has had the same problems with Imac G5 machines so there is no fanboy issue Bas.
Actually you proved my point JP. If the author was objective he would have mentioned Apple....but noooooooo
Old 29th June 2010, 06:29 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I am sorry for the customers who got victim. Good for Dell. I always hated that company with their horrible products.

Hide this!Advertise here!