RG174 mini coax cable for long runs (12-15m)? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2010, 08:41 PM   #1
szz743 is offline szz743  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Thumbs down RG174 mini coax cable for long runs (12-15m)?

Hello,

Sorry for posting a probably stupid newbie question. I've spent a lot of time trying to find the information but got contradicting results. The problem is - I need a few long 12-15m runs of audio cable for subwoofer and stereo signal. I happened to have enough of Tasker RG174AU cable

Can I use it for audio signals?

The cable will go inside the walls along with other signal cables like CAT6, HDMI, RG6 coax.

I definitely know I can use RG174 for the short runs but I'm not sure about 15 meters.
I don't need an audiophile quality, just don't want to catch some noise or hums.

thanks a lot!
Old 25th June 2010, 09:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The only down side will be the cable capacitance, I would estimate around 30 pF per foot. If your signal will not degrade excessively with the capacitance, you are okay. But the run you are considering results in over 1000 pF of capacitance, which is getting a bit much. What will your source do with that much? I would imagine you may be throwing away a lot of high frequencies.
Old 25th June 2010, 09:46 PM   #3
mjf is offline mjf  Austria
diyAudio Member

hello.
the output impedance of your preamp that drives the long cable should be low(maximum a few hundred ohms).
or you will loose high frequencies (does not matter with the subwoofer).
greets
Old 26th June 2010, 07:09 AM   #4
szz743 is offline szz743  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot! Will RG59 work better?
Old 26th June 2010, 09:21 AM   #5
mjf is offline mjf  Austria
diyAudio Member

.......rg 59 has a capacitance around 60pf......70pf per meter,a little bit lower than rg174............yes ,could be better (not much).but think about the shielding of the cable.foil shield or tight braided is a good thing if you use it with other signal cable along the wall..........so a good shielded rg174 could work better than a cheap rg59.
greets

Hide this!Advertise here!