comparing hi fi sound to car sound - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2010, 04:44 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozua View Post
Could it be that within a car environment the car audio system has access to much more current compared to the 15 amps from the average 220 mains socket?
No

G
Old 27th June 2010, 06:26 PM   #12
Dr_EM is offline Dr_EM  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I've never heard car audio which compares favourably to Hi-Fi, even remotely. The only nice feature is that the door speakers, being in a small sealed enclosure, can give quite a fast sound on kick drums.

Other than this it's just treble which sounds completely unintegrated from the rest, boomyness and distortion/harshness, to me. Not to mention the inherent skewed stereo image. I haven't heard a very modern one though; I guess with a lot of work you can make one which sounds quite good, when you arn't moving at least, as you know what "room" the equipment will be in and can optimise it!
Old 27th June 2010, 06:59 PM   #13
ultra is offline ultra  Greece
diyAudio Member

In my opinion the quality of car amps just adds to the overall quality.
I mean how is it possible that a car amp powered by a smps working at around 30 or even 50 KHz, is able to reproduce the higher audio end without distortion? Imagine the cloud of noise generated by a pwm switching 20-30 amperes at 40KHz....
I also think that very few car amps operate their pwm higher in order to get clarity at highs. Its an expensive approach.
Years ago i built a 2x45W car amp and its pwm was at 40KHz.
A week later, i modified the pwm to 220KHz.
The difference was huge. It sounded like a completely new amp!

Hide this!Advertise here!