How can I get that Stereo Shop smell?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hybrid fourdoor said:
Sorry didn't know if this was "Off Topic", but it didn't seem to fit in with World Peace and Paint Ball.

Seems perfectly on-topic to me, after all, it's DIY and Hi-Fi:D

I suspect a lot of it is trace amounts of solvents and other stuff burning off as a lot of gear in a small space is burned in. Probably quite nasty...

Joined 2003
Paid Member
What about the smell of old PA gear?
Years ago, when I used to go to concerts frequently, I get addicted to that smell.
Fender guitar amps smelled gorgeous.
Don’t know about other Bose equipment, but did you ever notice the smell of old 901’s?
Esoteric I would say…:D

/Hugo :)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
The smell doctor reports...

It's easy. Pour a measured amount of vacuum cleaner bag fluff over a radiant electric fire. Approximately 1mg of evenly distributed fluff per desired year of equipment's age.

For valve gear: Vigourously cut SRBP board, or if you're posh, machine Tufnol on your lathe. For hot transformers, fry a very small piece of smoked bacon. Add radiant fire/fluff to suit.

For transistor kit, bung some high-temperature wire in the oven on "warm", and turn the radiant fire on really low, depending on desired age.

Why do you want to do this?

Stereo shop and especially repair shop people don't clean. Why? Because they are mostly men! In combination of burning electronics is that the most important cause for the delicious smell. I can know, because i work in a repair and audio shop!

You want that smell at home?
1. Dump your wife, so she can't clean at your place.
2. Put all the electronics on all day long.
3. Burn cheap electronics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.