LED display shining through the wood

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's a bit hard to tell from the pix but I would guess that the wooden face is routed out from behind to leave a very thin layer into which the LED display is mounted. If you were going to attempt this I would rout out from behind leaving maybe 1/16" of wood thickness, then use clear epoxy to glue a clear 1/8" lexan window into the recess to reinforce the thin wood layer. Then I would use a jointer set to take about 0.005" per pass (or sand if you don't have a jointer) from the outside face with the LED display in place until the wood was thin enough to let the display show through as you want. It would be a delicate operation but I think doable. Good luck!:cool:

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
It says right on the ShineLabs website that it's just a thin cut veneer.

Thanks for the info, anyway I am happy to have missed that as am going to use solid wood. I believe if I follow kevinahcc20 instructions it will also work. Besides, I couldn't do the finish as good as the one in the pic using a thin cut veneer.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

EDIT: I just tried it with a piece of solid rosewood. A bright white LED gives red color. :)

Last edited:
If a bright white LED shows red through the rosewood, you should probably start with an ultrabright red display to begin with. The white led is a combination of a blue LED with yellow phosphor - what red there is in the fringe of the yellow phosphor's emission. A red or orange LED will end up brighter.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Panomaniac, it has worked out well, but it's a very delicate operation - no room for mistakes! Will post pics once the amp is finished.

just do not breathe on it!/QUOTE]

I won't, paper thin. :)

Wrenchone, the LED I'm using is transparent, it gives a bright white light but through the wood it looks like a red LED. With a superbright red LED I expect to get dark blue or purple but maybe you're right -will buy some and try them.

Stalker - a white LED is just a blue LED with yellow conversion phosphor. What red exisits in its emission spectrum will be at the fringes of the yellow phosphor's emission profile. The wood is absorbing/scattering the shorter wavelengths (blue, yellow) and just letting that small amount of red fringe emission through. A red LED cannot give you blue or purple light because those colors don't exist in its emission spectrum. With the wood, you should just get brighter (relative to the white LED) red.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
You're absolutely right, now I see the mistake in my reasoning.

"The wood is absorbing/scattering the shorter wavelengths (blue, yellow) and just letting that small amount of red fringe emission through"

Interesting...I thought the red was because of the red wood. :) And yes it was a dull red and now I know the reason. Thanks for the explanation.

EBM_dude : Yes, it is.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.