There is some mystery in the air...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
From REFERENCE COMPONENTS-POWER AMPLIFIERS

An Interesting SS Amplifier
A veteran reader has sent information about a new transistor power amplifier that focuses on solving what has been the main sonic problem inherent with those designs. Very little editing and my bold:

"I (would like to) make short mention of the Aspen LifeForce amplifier, as it's my amplifier of choice at the moment. This amplifier came out about a year ago from Hugh Dean, aka AKSA, and I believe I got the first pair of amplifier modules Hugh put out on the market. This amplifier differs from every other solid state class AB amplifier in that it has the designed capability to amplify in the low voltage crossover regions between + voltage and - voltage. This is where all the low level detail and spacial information is at, and the inability of class AB solid state amplifiers to amplify in this low voltage region has always been the achilles heel of those designs. But with the LF amplifiers you get the low level detail and spacial sound of a fine tube amp, and the excellent bass and high frequency response capabilities of the best solid state designs. There just aren't many of these amplifiers around, anywhere, at the moment. Hugh will exhibit at October's RMAF in Denver, and hopefully will get some notice and attention there, as I think they are deserving of such."

Personal Note- Time will tell whether the LifeForce amplifier really does equal "a fine tube amp" at its best. Hopefully, another reader can provide further first-hand observations of this amplifier, for better or worse.

Has anyone ever heard such a mysterious sounding amp?
Who can tell us more about this issue?
Thank you for killing my curiosity (or curiosity will kill my cat??)!
Max.

Well, there is a pretty wise guy here in Brazil that claims he knows this "secret", but also states that he "wouldn't tell even to his mother, if she were still alive"!, which I find right.
The intention is to discuss around, not to promote any kind of bad behaviour.
No need to fight against anybody, OK?
The path is clear to the owner also post his comments.
Thanks for replying.
Regards,
Max.
(sorry, non english speaking person)

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I presume that this is the AKSA 55? This has been around for some while. Perhaps Hugh would like to comment I believe he is a member of this forum.

It most certainly is not the AKSA 55 which is unfortunately no longer available. I haven't heard either, but hope to some time. The life force is a newer design than the AKSA 55 only avaliable as complete modules, Hugh has an even newer design now available as a complete ready built amp ::: Aspen Amplifiers ::: has the current line up.

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.