Good books on fundamentals - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2010, 04:48 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Good books on fundamentals

So the things I know about electronics I've learned from the single class offered at a liberal arts college. We have no engineering program (I'm a Math major). The book we have for the class seems a little more like a solid state physics book rather than an electronics book and it really falls flat on transistors, for example "transconductance" and "transimpedance" are not in the index at all.

Combine this with Slone's "The Audiphile's Project Sourcebook" and Self's "Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook" and you have someone who knows just enough to be dangerous.

Can you recommend some books I might read to really understand electronics, particularly topologies involving transistors so if I wanted to analyze, modify (or heaven forbid) design my own amps I'd have the resources necessary? The ideal book would be a cross between "build and analyze" and theory.

As an example if what I'd like to do, I've build Slone's headphone amplifier and I'd like to integrate a discrete active pre-amplifier stage, but the headphone amp is designed to run on +/- 15V rails and the pre-amp I build is designed for +24V. I'd like to modify this to build a single integrated active pre-amp and amplifier, but I obviously don't quite understand what's going on well enough to do the analysis and modifications necessary.

Thanks
Old 8th May 2010, 05:30 AM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

"The Art of Electronics," Horowitz and Hill. Classic.
Old 8th May 2010, 07:39 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
"The Art of Electronics," Horowitz and Hill. Classic.
second that. invaluable.
even after reading only your subject line, this is the first and only book that comes to mind.

There are many fine books on more specific subjects if/when you need more on power, speakers, filters, etc... Art of Electronics is what you want now.
Also be sure to check out many of the papers by Nelson Pass on passdiy.com
Old 8th May 2010, 01:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

yep, The art of electronics it the BEST.
Old 8th May 2010, 03:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ordered, thanks to all, now back to the scope...
Old 11th May 2010, 08:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

so it looks like what I got was the student manual for the text book, and it looks like the text book is out of print pending a new edition. Does anyone have any idea when the next edition is coming out (ie, is it worth waiting a few weeks/months and I should borrow from the library until then, or will it be a while?)
Old 11th May 2010, 08:47 PM   #7
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Amazon has it.

Hide this!Advertise here!