Question for moderators

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Over at the cable monster thread there is the announcement to close it down, if posters don´t behave.

While i understand that it _is_ a monster, and that it is tedious to close it for removing inappropriate posts, i don´t understand why it is better to close a thread than to exclude people from the thread that are (for whatever reason) not able to discuss in a professional manner?

Obviously the topic is still interesting and a lot of users do post according to the rules.

Wishes

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Closing it allows for cooler heads to prevail. Sometimes when things get heated, it is better to allow things to cool rather than strike out against those who, in the passion of the moment are prone to type things they later regret. You'll note also that this will be the last time, inappropriate behaviour will be tolerated. If that thread gets closed say goodbye to cable discussion here. You will also see action taken against members who feel it their duty to impose their ill will in the thread.

Sorry Cal,

thanks for your response, but i used a mistakable phrasing.
I absolutely understand that it is sometimes the best solution to close a thread temporarily for cooling down of the posters.

What i meant was the announcement of a permanent closing of the thread.

Is it really better to close a thread and ban a topic than to exclude (or sinbin) the users who are unable to discuss this topic in a professional manner?

Obviously a lot of users are able to discuss in the thread according to the forum rules.
Maybe there is a possibility to restrict the participation in this thread furthermore and let only the users in who can behave? (kind of a subgroup)

Wishes

Let me renew my question.

Isn´t there a possibility to introduce a subgroup of members for the discussion of blind testing, audible differences between ...whatever ?

While i can understand that the team don´t want to ban too many users, who contribute a lot in other threads, due to their posting habits in these somewhat more "religious" topics, i have a hard time to understand that a lot of users are discouraged to discuss just because some are not able to participate in those threads in a professional/respectful manner.

The introduction of a subgroup would allow to control (and restrict) access to these areas to members who are able to post according to the forum rules.

Wishes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.