The Role of "Experts" on diyAudio ( split from Cap thread) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th June 2003, 06:45 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Re: My initial impressions

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred Dieckmann
"My wisdom is rather that the more you learn about a subject,
the more you know how little you actually know about it."

Yes, and when you actually learn SomEthing from a reputable SourcE you SEe how little "Some Experts" know about it.

Unfortunately Some Experts SEem to think it their task to "teach" othErS things they don't undErStand themSElves. I don't SEe much of this as a quEStion of credibility as much as recognizing the SElf-dEdeluSional. No one will Ever Straighten him out, but keeping othErS from being confuSEd by him SEems to require an large amount of effort better devoted to actually disscussing uSEful imformation. Of courSE I won't mention any namES.
I must be really tired today. I thought it was unusually sloppy
typing from you, but when I happened to look back I suddenly
discovered the pattern.
Old 17th June 2003, 07:11 PM   #12
Account Disabled

Default Re: Re: My initial impressions

Quote:
Originally posted by Kuei Yang Wang
Koinichiwa,

Fred, (dieckman) you are incorigble....

Sayonara

... 'incorrigible' is good.....but i could use a more apt adjective that unfortunately the moderators would probably take exception to...
Old 17th June 2003, 09:11 PM   #13
Account Disabled

Quote:
"
Unfortunately Some Experts SEem to think it their task to "teach" othErS things they don't undErStand themSElves.

Good old fred's been looking at a mirror pretty closely by the look of things...
Old 17th June 2003, 11:39 PM   #14
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default What's the point?

I'm unclear as to the point (and direction) of this thread. If audio "experts" were truly experts then the whole untidy mess would have been well and truly sorted out, and the whole discussion would have stopped dead in the 70s with Quad's rather entertaining advertisements concerning electrons falling about laughing.

Surely, the value of this forum is to air views that can be criticised by engineers, who will then be called upon to defend their criticisms...
Old 17th June 2003, 11:41 PM   #15
Account Disabled

Quote:
"Unfortunately Some Experts SEem to think it their task to "teach" othErS things they don't undErStand themSElves.

....plainly a case of he who knows not and knows not that he knows not......poor fred...
Old 17th June 2003, 11:43 PM   #16
Account Disabled

Default Re: What's the point?

Quote:
Originally posted by EC8010

Surely, the value of this forum is to air views that can be criticised by engineers, who will then be called upon to defend their criticisms...

his majesty, fred dieckman obviously doesnt think so......
Old 17th June 2003, 11:45 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Re: What's the point?

Quote:
Originally posted by EC8010
I'm unclear as to the point (and direction) of this thread. If audio "experts" were truly experts then the whole untidy mess would have been well and truly sorted out, and the whole discussion would have stopped dead in the 70s with Quad's rather entertaining advertisements concerning electrons falling about laughing.

The point of the thread was to lift out a discussion from another
thread, since it went too much off-topic. I agree the moderator
choose a somewhat unfortunate name for the thread.
Old 18th June 2003, 12:00 AM   #18
diyAudio Retiree

Default I am not an expert but I play one on the web

" How do we tell these people apart from those who do know?" You don't that's why people who don't know what the are talking about post so frequently and so many others believe them. It's a problem in many areas of life. The real experts generally don't bother to post in forums such as these. I wonder why? the next best thing one can hope for is someone with the intellectual honesty to try and share what the have learned based on years of work and not there enthusiams for arguing. Some who is willing to point to references that with more knowledge on the subject than they profess to have is a good sign. To parphrase a famous saying the stupid we have with us always.

How many really rely on the forum for the final and complete word on any topic in audio? God help you if that is the case......
Old 18th June 2003, 12:12 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default Re: I am not an expert but I play one on the web

Quote:

How many really rely on the forum for the final and complete word on any topic in audio? God help you if that is the case......
I am afraid many do, in fact, and that is a general problem
for the internat on the whole. That is why, as I previously
said, it is good if a question get answers from many people.
Then one can weigh these answers against each other,
see what the arguments are, check references when given,
and then try to form ones own opinion. Some will be confused
by getting several inconsistent answers, but hopefully they
will then at least realize that maybe their question dosen't
have a clear simple answer they can apply immediately.
Many will get dissapointed, or even angry, others will be
spurred to try learning more about the subject.

Jonathan Carr recently posted in another thread his
suggestions for how to become a good audio designer.
One of these were (maybe not literally) "question everything".
Old 18th June 2003, 12:43 AM   #20
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Nothing is gospel, question everything, and judge it in the light of experience.

Hide this!Advertise here!