Irrelevent stuff spilt from Cap selection thread - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2003, 08:24 PM   #11
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I keep listening to my caps, but they just sit there, silent.

I haven't gone and measured the microphonic level of the caps in my amp, but since the amp is itself nonmicrophonic, why bother?
Old 13th June 2003, 08:41 PM   #12
ALW is offline ALW  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I haven't gone and measured the microphonic level of the caps in my amp, but since the amp is itself nonmicrophonic, why bother?
WOW! - how did you do make that - I could make a fortune from it, can I have the secret please?

Fred,

I wish the stork would bring me some, they cost a bloody fortune
Old 13th June 2003, 08:47 PM   #13
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
WOW! - how did you do make that - I could make a fortune from it, can I have the secret please?
Easy- no tubes. The three solid state amps I have on hand (modded Adcom 555, Bryston something-or-other, the small amp, Crown 150A) show no evidence of microphonics, either audibly or on the 'scope, when I perform a percussive excitation. My two tube amps (SY's Most Excellent Little Triode Amp and SY's Most Excellent Big Triode Amp) show some microphonics when the input tubes are tapped, but no response when the chassis is percussed.

I do have some interconnects that are horribly microphonic, but that was easy to fix. I just made another set with less exotic wire.

If you make a fortune from this, please send me 10%.
Old 13th June 2003, 09:04 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The three solid state amps I have on hand (modded Adcom 555, Bryston something-or-other, the small amp, Crown 150A) show no evidence of microphonics, either audibly or on the 'scope, when I perform a percussive excitation.
Whilst that may well be the case, a 'scope has insufficient resolution for the task.

Try placing the amp on two radically different surfaces (say a table and then a cushion) and listen to some music. On every bit of solid-state electronics I've ever heard this has audible consequences.

Andy.
Old 13th June 2003, 09:08 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ALW
Whilst that may well be the case, a 'scope has insufficient resolution for the task.

Try placing the amp on two radically different surfaces (say a table and then a cushion) and listen to some music. On every bit of solid-state electronics I've ever heard this has audible consequences.
But placing photographs of yourself in your freezer also has "audible consequences" according to some. So this doesn't prove anything.

Instead of a 'scope, just use a decent spectrum analyzer.

se
Old 13th June 2003, 09:14 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Instead of a 'scope, just use a decent spectrum analyzer.
Maybe SY doesn't have one
Old 13th June 2003, 09:17 PM   #17
diyAudio Moderator

I do have a spectrum analyzer, but I've also got a pair of ears. Note the use of the word "audibly."
Old 13th June 2003, 09:24 PM   #18
diyAudio Retiree

Default What you don't know won't hurt you.........

Sigh.......

The microphonics can be induced by the signal though the cap. I guess you don't have any transformer vibration in your amps either. Whack it harder and put some more gain in your measurement circuit. BTW, where do you think babies come from.......

Microphonics in a solid state circuit? Never happens........ oh wait a minute, I just remembered something.

Analog Circuit Design: Art, Science and Personalities
by Jim Williams (Editor)

page 283
Old 13th June 2003, 09:29 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Fred:

Don't try to screw up the discussion with facts and engineering data.

This is virtual reality, remember.

Tmac
Old 13th June 2003, 09:31 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ALW
Maybe SY doesn't have one
But you do.

se

Hide this!Advertise here!