Digital MultiMeter? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2010, 07:23 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I have a Tektronix 157 with an auto-off that seems to kick in just when I need to read the meter and I don't think it can be disabled. Now that I mention it I wonder what IC is in that thing. It's probably not a big deal for troubleshooting but if you care to do anything that needs the meter set the same way for a long time you might grow to hate it. Although after the number of times I've seen that meter left on when I get back to the bench the next day, I understand why it's a "feature".
Old 18th April 2010, 07:33 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Are you looking for/do you need a true RMS meter?
Old 18th April 2010, 08:27 PM   #13
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Any Fluke multimeter in the 70-series or 80-series would be just fine. I'm using an old Fluke 73 and have been for the past 20 years. Still ticking...

~Tom
Old 18th April 2010, 09:01 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

my fluke 87 has an autoshut off feature but it can be disabled by pressing a button while powering up. Check your manual there might be something in there.
Old 19th April 2010, 12:17 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
these work well, for starters.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 21st April 2010, 11:25 PM   #16
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Local discount hardware stores probably carry some similar under-$20 DMM that is considerably better than nothing. Unless you're calibrating data acquisition gear, you don't need extreme accuracy. I still use my first DMM, an inexpensive Radio Shack model.

On the other hand, if you can pick up a Fluke at a pawn shop for a fair price, it's unlikely you will ever regret it. (They're more common than you might think, since Fluke marketed them to various trades including auto mechanics.) Unless the LCD display is bad... but sometimes that can be fixed by flipping the conductive rubbery strip around. That might be grounds for negotiating the price downwards...

Given a choice of Flukes, earlier versions of the 70 series had no fuse on the 10A range, which could lead to unpleasantness if one was not careful enough.
Old 23rd April 2010, 03:22 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I know all Canadians will cringe, but I would wait for a sale at Can Tire. You could pick-up a new one at 1/2 price. But run, they may have only one or two in stock
Old 24th April 2010, 01:51 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangus View Post
Local discount hardware stores probably carry some similar under-$20 DMM that is considerably better than nothing. Unless you're calibrating data acquisition gear, you don't need extreme accuracy. I still use my first DMM, an inexpensive Radio Shack model.
I once was curious how accurate my little $20.00 Radio Shack meter from about ten years ago was. Used a fully NIST certified Fluke 5100 Calibrator and voltage, current, and resistance readings were bang on in every reading. It came as a surprise.

For home measurements I have no problem using it. For work on 600V circuits I trust my health to my Fluke.

If you just want to do general hobby stuff a Canadian Tire special would be more than adequate if you are looking to save a few bucks.
Old 24th April 2010, 02:02 PM   #19
scid714 is offline scid714  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
Any Fluke multimeter in the 70-series or 80-series would be just fine. I'm using an old Fluke 73 and have been for the past 20 years. Still ticking...

~Tom
Can't go wrong with a fluke 87. Buy one used cheap and spend the $40-50 to have it calibrated.
Old 25th April 2010, 04:15 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Well I finally chose a Fluke 179 and got it new for $158.
Thanks for all your tips and suggestions!

Hide this!Advertise here!