Pics of My AC Line filter project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2003, 07:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Pics of My AC Line filter project

I moved to an older house about 5 months ago and noticed that my house was poorly wired being on a farm I did have the advantage of having a large service (200 Amp & 100 Amp)....so my design goal was the following:

1/ A good clean 15 amp circuit for my main computer

2/ Another 15 amp circuit for my wifes computer in her office

3/ A 220 Vac 30 amp circuit for my Lab

4/ The most impotant was 2 15 amp circuits for my living room where I have most of my audio and vidieo equipment

Wiring was not a big Deal because I get it cheap through my wholesaler....but I wanted some good filtered lines for protection and for noise immunity. I had alot of the parts in my magic storage cases..haha....so I started laying out what I wanted.
Because most of my design work is automation control I wanted to something a little crazy.....so I asked my self what would be practical...ahhh...some nice digital meters for the 100 amp panel that was not being used....so i built a 51/2 digit volt and amp meter to monitor the panel.....I then ran all appropriate wiring to the different rooms and I ran my cat 5 and RG6 also at the same time..(I`m a satellite nut with 4 dishes)....I had a new Potter 30 amp line filter to utilise and 4 Hubbel 15 amp filters along with quite a few IEC filters to utilise...oh and i forgot to mention I installed a new ground rod off the 100 amp panel....here are some pics of some of the parts:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0007.jpg (80.5 KB, 637 views)
Old 16th June 2003, 07:02 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

the filters and control parts.......and you`ll notice the infrared board for controlling the outlets

and that in the background is my Heintzman piano....never move that AGAIN!!!!!! it was Damn heavy..LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0005.jpg (74.7 KB, 612 views)
Old 16th June 2003, 07:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

another pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0004.jpg (75.1 KB, 596 views)
Old 16th June 2003, 07:14 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The Frost 300va isolation transformer is for the Lab.....here is the distribution amp and filter that I built to distribute my satellite feed to 4 tvs and 2 computers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0008.jpg (56.2 KB, 589 views)
Old 17th June 2003, 02:08 AM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Interesting ideas, and it looks like it's coming together well, but of course you have checked that your mods are within your local wiring code of course?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 17th June 2003, 03:28 AM   #6
karma is offline karma  Canada
diyAudio Member

hmm so thats y my light dim every nite. its joe dirt turning on the stereo
Old 17th June 2003, 03:33 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

you bet Karma.....I think Caledonia gets its power from Hamilton!!!hahaha

and Pinkmouse...all the wiring is done beyond code specs

DIRT®
Old 17th June 2003, 05:45 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Da5id4Vz
Joe,

That aluminum box looks like it’s dieing to be a gainclone chassis. Perhaps a 12x12 pull box could be used for the power project.

I know where Hamilton gets it power from:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pasny_niagara_project.jpg (90.5 KB, 443 views)
Old 17th June 2003, 05:57 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

cool pic!!!! Da5id4Vz.....I have a abundance of that aluminim profile in many sizes....got it from arisio in Italy.....I made some HVAC equipment frames with it....nice stuff to work with
Old 17th June 2003, 06:10 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Da5id4Vz
Default DIY HVAC!

I assume your referring to control systems for HVAC? Either way thats too cool.

The left side of the photo is Ontario Hydro. The right side of the photo is NY power authority. I had a cool summer job while in college painting transmission towers in the substation. Four inch continuous corona discharge as you approached some of the towers was not uncommon.

The summer I was there they ran the transmission lines between the two dams allowing for international power sales.

The aluminum is great; I can see chassis, equipment racks, jigs, fixtures, furniture, transportation, housing... Its like metal tinker toys! Must be expensive too.

Hide this!Advertise here!