Pics of My AC Line filter project - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th June 2003, 05:26 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

My Brother inlaw works for Hydro!!..lol....and I bought enough extrusion from Arisio that it was cheaper than buying it here....the owner actually visited last year when he came to Canada......have some pics of the projects....huge rooftop HVAC units that I designed for 6 20 story apartments in Toronto

DIRT®
Old 17th June 2003, 05:41 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Da5id4Vz
How do you provide HVAC to a 20 story building in Toronto?

Chilled water, glycol? What about heat? Does each unit get electric reheat?

Pictures would be great.

-Dave

Are those short wire looking things shunt resitors?
Old 17th June 2003, 06:13 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I will post some pics...but I dont want to step on forum rules and get off topic here and also eat up bandwidth space ( I did that alot in the last few days)..But I would be happy to! If one one of the mods would collaberate

they are 600 volt bypass caps .5Uf poly

the units are glycol based and the 15HP Delhi blowers stand as tall as me in the unit

DIRT®
Old 17th June 2003, 04:21 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default monitor and filter

When I upgraded my homes service panel I had a 200 amp panel installed, grounded to cold water and a new rod. I did home runs to the computer locations and the shop. Each computer and the DSL/gateway sport their own UPS, I also added a big MOV to the panel for "whole house” protection. I would have like to do something like a Northern Power Technology box, but the budget didn’t permit it.

One thing I wish I had done was to add CT's to the mains. It would have been simple when the panel was going in, but a little cost prohibitive as an after thought.

It looks like you have a small CT that you’re getting ready to use for monitoring the filtered circuit. It might be neat to monitor the HF content on the line to try and trap events like spikes surges and oscillatory transients. PC's and other consumer electronics with switching power supplies tend to flatten AC sine waves as well as adding harmonic content to it. It might be neat to be able to take a look at that stuff.

Good thought about file size, I should really shrink photos like that Niagara Falls thing before posting them, if posting them at all.

Utilities a great place to work. NY power authority gave me some great industrial safety training for my brief summer employment. Niagara was fantastic because of the bigger than life scale of it all.

I work for a telephone company these days, and although plagued by a sea change of changing regulations and the subsequent financial fallout, it’s still a great place to be. (So far…)

BTW, are you thinking about remote power switching? Looks like a couple of solid state relaye on the table.
Old 17th June 2003, 07:28 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

yeppers...I will remote control some outlets..with my Yamaha MX 100....I`m isolating all the controls as per code with the SS relays and then switching with the other relays....I have alot more to post but your the only one who seems interested...so I refrain from doing it

DIRT®
Old 17th June 2003, 07:54 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

fair-e-nuf

but,

I googled "Yahmaha MX 100" and all I got was motercycles. I amagine that your refereing to a receiver but I couldnt find it. R U planning on contolling your stereo from a motercycle
Old 17th June 2003, 07:59 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Looks interesting to me.

Speaking of hydro, I was down in Niagara a few weeks ago for my honeymoon, and managed to convince my wife (after much whining) that we needed to take the Beck tour. The tour wasn't as great as I had hoped, but still interesting. Took the elevator down into the dam, walked through the tunnel to the front of the dam, at the bottom of the penstocks. Got to stare out at the tops of the turbines, but didn't actually get to go on the floor. They were just finishing some massive upgrade, so they had one of the shafts and rotor pulled out, which was interesting.

How is the line filtering project going?
Old 17th June 2003, 08:21 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Beck, the beer, the musician and the hydro plant...

Is the Beck plant the one at the foot of the Horseshoe Falls? I understand they still output some 25 cycle stuff for a handful of industrial customers. I worked at the Robert Moses plant. While I did see quite a few nooks and crannies of the plant I never actually saw a turbine. A few years back I toured Hoover dam. The old tour used to walk you though the tunnels, across huge manifolds and even on the generator floor where no one seemed to care if I leaned on or touched the casing. I'm sure that’s all closed off from the public now.
Old 18th June 2003, 05:17 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Sir Adam Beck generating station is the big one down river from the falls, at Niagara on the Lake (across the river from Robert Moses). It's actually two plants (Beck 1 and Beck 2) side by side.

The small facility at the base of the falls was originally used to power an electric railway; I didn't know it was still in use for anything today.

I've long been interested in micro hydro and other forms of alternative energy. My dream is to some day own a piece of land with a decent size stream and (with a bit of wind and solar, maybe) go off-grid.
Old 18th June 2003, 05:28 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JOE DIRT®
My Brother inlaw works for Hydro!!..lol....and I bought enough extrusion from Arisio that it was cheaper than buying it here....the owner actually visited last year when he came to Canada......have some pics of the projects....huge rooftop HVAC units that I designed for 6 20 story apartments in Toronto

DIRT®
Since I live in Italy but don't know this place/shop (or whatever it is) and I am always looking for heatsinks/extrusions for cheap... could you give some more info about this supplier?

Cheers

Andrea

Hide this!Advertise here!