Best non-audio (general) DIY electronics forums and message boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For general (non-audio) DIY-electronics discussions, what is (are) the best forums/message boards?

Criteria for gauging the success (and/or user respect) of a forum/message board may, for starters, be the sheer number of threads and posts.

Sometimes the ideal DIY-electronics info one is seeking on some topic may be randomly posted, so that's why Googling is important. E.g., I was looking for info on how to build a 3.7/4.2V Li-Ion charger. I found the info on a forum/MB devoted primarily to flashlights!

But web search takes precious time. A "one-stop-shop" for most non-DIY-audio electronics discussions would be helpful.

Thx in advance for your suggestions!

Forum of radio controlled planes and other RC toys. They have a DIY electronic section. DIY Electronics - RC Groups
Most of the topics are RC-hobby-related.
The RC Groups forum ranks high in SERP (Search Engine Rank Position) when searching for "DIY electronics forum". I don't think this site has type of info or format I meant. It ranks high because RC is a very popular hobby, with devoted fans, and lots of other sites link to it (Google's PR algo).
Electronic Circuits Projects Diagrams Free. A forum a used to frequent, and the one I found this board from!
Nice find: about 0.5 million posts and and ~80K threads.
Any more :D...?

They are mainly RC related but some of their knowledge is right up there. They originally pushed the boundaries on batteries and charging because everything is power to weigh ratio in airplanes.

They have a separate section on designing and building motors and drives and one for batteries and charging. They also have gone far with motor controls, I doubt brushless DC motors or sensorless drives would be as popular in industry without work done in the RC society. They have also gone to great lengths in miniaturization and in using microcontrollers.

Much of the motor and control information they have can be directly related to someone wanting to build an electric bike for example.

Might not be strictly an electronic forum but different fields may end up as an unlikely resource when you are trying to solve a problem. I never would have thought there would have been a forum on flashlights.

I am not really interested in a high count value of a forum, just as long as it has the information i am looking for. The reason I am on this forum is because my brother needed some information on high current power supplies and the car guys here fit the bill.

Like you said, rather than searching through links hoping to find a good site it would be nice to have a place where others have already gone through the trouble.

Now not really electronic in nature but might be of interest to people of this forum is the AV forum

Home Cinema Construction & Configuration - AVForums.com

They have some good information on building media rooms and soundproofing. Hope you do not mind my suggesting it. I will look up my links for more electronic related sites later.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.