Win ME to XP ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In response to JOE DIRT®'s flame:

From experience. Twenty two years worth.

I'm not a "Senior Programmer" or even a "Professional Programmer" but I can get around in C, Pascal, Assembler on 650x, 680x, 680xx, Z80, 808x, 80x86 to meet my needs and understand the basics, quirks, highlights and shortcomings of the CPUs mentioned.

All of the Windows OS's not based on NT are just MS-DOS with a GUI. I'm not knocking DOS. My EPROM programmer and 3 CNC systems all run flawlessly under MS-DOS 6.x. with 4 MB RAM each.

They lack proper memory management for dealing with the RAM needed for many "high-powered" graphics, video and audio applications.

They still "thunk" (switch between processor modes). That in itself is probably the worst thing about them. Every thunk is a likely possibility for an OS crash.

They have no file system. Period.
FAT32 is just a bandaid to allow an outdated quasi-OS to use modern hardware. Win2k, XP, UNIX and MacOS X
(hereafter refferred to as "The Big 4") all have journalling filesystems that are fast, secure, self-healing. and extendable beyond a single hard disk or RAID.

Their network capabilities (or lack of) appear to have been designed by someone completely removed from the designers of the core OS. Why have to restart just because I changed my IP or netmask? Or changing from static to dynamic IP assignment? I'll reluctantly go along with restarting after changing machine name, workgroup or NT domain.
Samba under Linux doesn't require system restart after those changes.

They have no security unless a third-party system is installed.

As far as the "People have problems because they DONT know how to use their computer properly." statement, I have around fifty paying customers who hire me to install, maintain and troubleshoot DOS, Win3 thru XP, Macintosh, SunOS,/Solaris, SCO and Linux systems with networks consisting of NFS, NT, Win2K, Novell, Samba and Netatalk.

Knock Microsoft?
Hmmm... Where did I do that?
Or does merely pointing out a few problems constitute "Knocking"?

I signed up here at diyaudio because it looked like a great place to share info related to "Do it yourself Audio" projects (which I've been doing for around 40 years), hopefully learn a thing or two and possibly help someone else.

I had no idea there would be some seventh-grade "Waaah!...I don't like what he said" mentality involved.

Whew! All that aside, let's build some cool audio devices!!

E.

PS: Would it be OK if I like tubes better than transistors for guitar amps? ;^)

The BIOS?

HI JasonL,
Thanks for the suggestion. Wouldn't I also need to change the BIOS for the laptop ( Sony Viao - PCG-F630 )?
They do suggest a change for installing Win XP etc.

I must also check to see if Beigebag and Autotrax will run on Linux. I will also have to download Star Office. What about an Internet browser ? I have a DSL line at home. On my desktop I only had to set up the DNS and IP info. The laptop has a Xircom PCMCIA network card and an ESS modem on board.

Wonder if this is going to get too complicated.
Thanks.
Ashok.

hey mandrake is awesome stuff. i don't know if that autotrax will work is it windows software. ? also don't change your bios. just leave it. I don't know why windows xp needs a bios update either on a laptop Weird. you could also just install it after saving your files and see how it runs and stuff. f it does maybe buy a second hard drive that goes into the laptop there pretty cheap now.. that is what i did. there are a few internet browsers that come with mandrake. setting up the ip's and dns is simple it is just like setting it up on your home pc. you should have a firewall router though. then you would just have to set it ti DHCP. Your Xircom PCMCIA card will work with no problems either.

Re: Thanks

ashok said:
Thanks everyone, for all your suggestions. It keeps coming back to the same thing ( by consensus) that it is possibly better to do a clean install of XP -- not because it is the best, but probably the best thing to do .
I also toyed with the idea of istalling Linux to get away from Microsoft but am worried about drivers for the hardware and the inability (?) to use some of my design software which works on Windows.
Any comments on this ?
Thanks.
Ashok.

About the hardware part: a modern Linux distro will probably support all of your hardware (with the possible exception of some more exotic devices and WinPrinters/WinModems). However you might need to do some configuration work yourself instead of getting an "install wizard" a la Microsoft.

As for the software: there's really a lot of software for Linux. Take a look at apps.kde.com, freshmeat.net and sourceforge.net. If you really need to run a Windows application, you can try running it with Wine: a compatibility layer that allows some (most?) Windows apps to run on Linux. However, Wine is still in active development. Don't be surprised if more complex applications don't work (completely) on Wine.

If you want to try Linux, I advice you to download Knoppix. It's a complete Linux system which can run directly from cd. There's a very good chance it'll auto-detect your hardware correctly. This way, you can run Linux without having to repartition your hard drive or even alter your existing OS.

If you like Linux, take a look at "the 3 beginner distributions": Red Hat, SuSE and Mandrake. They all offer auto-update tools (a la Windows Update), a nice graphical interface (very customizable), and a whole bunch of applications, including OpenOffice (a MS Office alternative).

I explicitly discourage using Lindows (a Windows-like distro), for the following reasons:
- You are logged in as root (the admin account) automatically, without a warning. This is the Windows way, and for security reasons, it's a very bad idea.
- No compiler is included. This limits the installation of software to pre-compiled packages, which are often distro-dependent.
- It isn't freely downloadable. Granted, SuSE iso's also aren't downloadable, but you can do an FTP installation (the install program then downloads everything from an FTP server).

Anyway, goodluck :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.