Win ME to XP ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2003, 10:19 PM   #11
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default How to loose everything, and pay for the pleasure....

XP? Wait until you have "Hive" corruption. Then you'll wish you didn't go beyond 2K.

IMO W2K is the most reliable and stable of the window$ OS's

Cheers,
Old 15th June 2003, 11:06 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to starbase218
My first post

All Windows versions from 95 up to ME use the 9x kernel. Unlike the NT kernel, which is used in Windows NT, 2000 and XP, this is not a fully 32-bit kernel. It needs to be compatible with 16-bit (DOS) applications, and as such it is far more likely to give you problems. I don't have experience with ME, but I've had many problems with both 95 and 98 because of the 16-bit compatibility, and from what I've heard, ME isn't any better.

However, even with NT, 2000 or XP you might experience weird behaviour in the long run. For example, some programs can refuse to run correctly. This is because Windows doesn't allow different versions of libraries to exist on the system (at least in the Windows folder). So an application can overwrite libraries which were installed by a different application. This leads to the so-called "dll-hell". Frankly, there's not much you can do about this if you want to use a Windows version. Linux, for example, does allow different library versions to co-exist (even in the same folder), because the version is part of the filename (and it's also a fully 32-bit kernel).

If you want to use Windows, I'd advice Windows 2000. XP will run with 128MB, but 2000 will run much more smoothly. I've worked with Windows NT as well, but I don't recommend it. It is more stable than 95/98, but it's outdated, support is decreasing, and it's less stable than 2000.
Old 15th June 2003, 11:23 PM   #13
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Yeah i would so go to win2k. But First get all the drivers and stuff.. also i would beef up the memory too. more memory the better..
Old 27th June 2003, 12:24 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jean-paul
But NT lacks the Product Activation and the bloatware that comes with its modern brothers( positive ! ).
Last time I did a full install with NT it only took about 5 minutes or maybe 10 at the very most. That was with a 200Mhz machine too! (This one). By way of comparison, WinME takes over an hour.

But... the most notable feature (or lack of) with NT is that during the installation procedure there are no stupid screens popping up promising you 'rich, life-enhancing experiences' etc. That alone would stop me going anywhere else.

/Circlotron - cynical about MS inferring you need their latest OS to have a worthwhile life.
Old 27th June 2003, 12:38 PM   #15
future is offline future  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to future Send a message via AIM to future Send a message via MSN to future Send a message via Yahoo to future
In my experience, windows XP is better than all earlier together. I installed winxp on a friendīs notebook, its a k6 350 64mb and it is very usable . He is in medicine school and he went last year without a single problem.
In my machine I cant use any 9x based OS anymore, because when I start using it, it crashes .
I would not suggest you to install XP on top of ME, save your files and do a fresh install. I think XP will install most of your hardware by itself.
Old 31st July 2003, 06:07 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to emorysmith
Anything is better than ME. Even 98. Even 95.
We've had the best performance with Win2000 for audio computers.

XP has too much automatic "I'm trying to help you" garbage (which can be disabled).
And it's the ugliest OS around before turning off the crappy eye candy.

Important:
1 Clean install. DO NOT UPGRADE!!!!!
2. Use NTFS, not FAT32.
3. Disable all unneeded services and sharing.
Good luck!
Old 1st August 2003, 12:41 AM   #17
Banned

Also do all updates for drivers and the system and turn on the firewall or buy a hard ware based one..
Old 1st August 2003, 01:46 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

emorysmith are you talking out of experience or just talking>???
Being a senior programmer I seem to be able to keep my system quite stable on WIN ME.
Also WIN ME is just an upgrade for further hardware support from previous WIN OS`s........it is still quite stable in the DOS environment as I use it every day for assembly and compilation and all of my hardware is utilised .
People have problems because they DONT know how to use their computer properly.
I get aggravated when someone knocks Microsoft because of problems with their computer because if you can write the GUI that went into all that code you would be as rich as Bill Gates also
Old 1st August 2003, 01:57 AM   #19
Banned

Im sorry i have to say this But windows ME SUX A$$ all the way it is the worst written os and the worst os that Microsoft build and released. IT sux right down to the core. The only good thing about it is the CLOCK that is it NOTHING IS good about windows me. As far as Microsoft goes the only good os is WIN2K that is it other than that they all suck. i worked on Microsoft stuff day in and day out. i was a tech for tec-net and hp and seanix MUST i go on. Microsoft made there money long time ago and that is why there still around that is it. if i had to open a store i would not sell Microsoft. i would sell LINUX bsd red-hat or mandrake or any other type of os OTHER than windows. as far as im concerned Microsoft deserves every bit of BASH towards them.. and there training BLOWS waste of money they pay some BONE head to sit at the front of the class that reads his information out of a book WITCH he just gets paid to doo. must i say but i really dislike Microsoft and there crap os's. ( beside's win2k and server )

AND i can speak because i fixed it day in day out all day long and on night calls..
Old 1st August 2003, 03:29 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone, for all your suggestions. It keeps coming back to the same thing ( by consensus) that it is possibly better to do a clean install of XP -- not because it is the best, but probably the best thing to do .
I also toyed with the idea of istalling Linux to get away from Microsoft but am worried about drivers for the hardware and the inability (?) to use some of my design software which works on Windows.
Any comments on this ?
Thanks.
Ashok.

Hide this!Advertise here!