Fixing the dreaded power up/down thump!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one issue that most drives me nuts is that dreaded thump when the system powers up and down. I'm looking for a robust solution. The main culprit is a studio mastering process I run full range - Behringer Ultracurve DEQ2496. The chain looks like this:

DVD > preamp (ESP) + P05 power supply > Behringer Ultracurve DEQ2496 > Behringer Ultradrive DCX2496 > power amps:

DSE A2760
Behringer A500 (studio power amp)
Behringer Europower EP2500
Rythmik Plate amps

I use slave power up switching. So there is an old VCR I don't use that has a remote that powers up the whole system.

The DSE is fine as it has relays. None of the other amps have relays. The main problem is powering down. Ultradrive is a bit more well behaved so has reduced the problem slightly without removing it.

Two options I won't consider a solution:
1. Leaving things on
2. A manual power up/down sequence

I did consider power strips with power sequencing but that's $800 for the cheapest I could find. That breaks down when there is a power failure, so even that is not a fully robust solution. Even just a brief interruption.

What I'd like to do is add one or a number of relay circuits. As I see it, I could do this for the last source in the chain - Ultradrive, or I could just do it for every power amp. Ultradrive already has relays, as does Ultracurve but for some reason it doesn't get all the way there.

My question for both possible solutions:

Can the relay circuits be added externally to existing components? I'm asking this for both line level and power amp level. I've looked at

Project 104 - Preamp/ crossover muting circuit
Soft-Start Circuit For Power Amps
Loudspeaker Protection and Muting

Is it a simple matter of having an external power supply then hooking up the relay to the ouputs of the device in question?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.