DIY repair, a power surge, a mixing console, and me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody.
I'm posting to get some advice, or perhaps to be pointed in the right direction. The backstory: some friends of mine had their Mackie 408M mixing console blown by a surge when the venue's sound man hooked it up to a generator which was malfunctioning. They didn't have time to mess around with repairing a twelve-or-so year old mixer, so they bought a new one. They were going to throw the broken one out, but I told them I'd like to take it and try to fix it, and they then said I could have it.

They're on the road right now, so I haven't had a chance to open up and look at the unit. My question is this: before I ask them to drag it all the way back here, is there a chance that it is fixable? I realize that this could depend on a whole lot of variables. I'm just wondering if it's possible that the unit is salvageable, and if so, if I would have to invest very much into fixing it?

If it is salvageable, any tutorial suggestions or hints as to what I'd have to read up on would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks

All we really know is that it was on generator power, and it no longer works. Did it receive 150v? 800v? Reversed neutral and ground or something? We have no idea, consequently we have no idea what is wrong with it. We have to find out.

Isolate the problem. If it is "dead" as in no signs of life, then start with power supply. Is the main power supply even getting mains voltage? You could have a burnt out inrush limiting thermistor or something or a dead varistor somewhere. Oops, no inrush part on the 408.

I agree the power amps are the most suspect. Try disconnecting them.

And contact Mackie at Loud Technologies and request the schematic set for your mixer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.