Better in the dark!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is it just me, or does music sound better in the dark? :)cool:;):D)

No but seriously, To me music is always WAY cleaner in a dark (pitch black) setting, Is this because the brain has one less thing to focus on? (put your feet up brain)

I don't have flouro lights, so I can't blame them. Maybe its just because, listening to good music is the next most fun thing you can do without laughing, and must almost always be performed in the dark, for similarities sake!!;)

IS it just me???........

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Agree 100%. The entire front end of my room is covered with black cloth, the speakers are black, and no equipment or LED's are visible, and I turn off the lights when listening.

In complete darkness its easier to cut out the sight sense, and focus on listeining.

Me too,

I press a button on my amp, and it kills all display, A serious listening session requires it.
In fact, I reguard this AS important as sound proofing itself!

Yet, to the best of my knowledge, this has never been seen as an improvement, in the 'hi-fi' world.

Why??

Ps I'm married, so the whole black thing is kinda hard!

Last edited:
I would agree that the music seems to be clearer, etc. when the lights are out. As you observed, I think it's due to removing stimuli from the brain, thus it has to increase the acuity of the other senses to compensate. It also works for me if I close my eyes, unfortunately when I either close my eyes or turn out the light, I find myself falling into a zone where I eventually fall asleep!:D

Dave

Totally agree, sometimes I am in a lit/daytime listening situation and trying to figure out if the speakers are "blending" well or are beaming a bit. In the dark I can't look at the speakers so I just listen. Also I totally believe the audio companents will only ever be 40 - 50% of your system, the rest is brain/ears and physiological so environment is very important. Also, when it's dark, it's night. Background noise is reduced and power supplies are under less demand.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.