Any Par-Metal Chassis Owner's out there?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

please refer to attached photos. I'm still waiting for a reply from parmetal.

Hoping to get a quick answer here. this is the 2nd 20 series Black Anodized chassis I have purchased. I'm having the same issue with the black paint coming off. Just handling it, finger prints get all over it. When I use blue painter's masking tape, the residue will NOT come off!

I've tried warm soapy water and alcohol to no avail. you can see in the pic, the strip of residue from the tape. other pic shows simple damp paper towel picking up the black paint.

I've purchased his clear alodine chassis before and never had issue like this.
I'm really frustrated since I'm not sure how to resolve this. It went from looking really nice to crap just from handling.

any ideas? thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 20 series chassis.zip
    255 KB · Views: 167
Funny you mention problems with blue masking tape; I had the same issue. I think I used lantern oil to get all the residue off (it works like goo gone).

thanks. are you using his black anodized chassis also? I'll have to get something like that tomorrow at the hardware store. So what do you do about dust and handling?

I'm starting to think it's lacking a clear coat. there is no protective finish and that's the big problem.

The problem is they use aluminum sheet with a very coarse grain to it. It must be the cheapest stuff they can get their hands on. They also don't seem to put very much effort into their anodizing process.

A tip for next time (if you ever order from them again): don't buy the full anodized chassis; get the painted top and bottom. That leaves less anodized area to get messed up and it will also save you a few bucks.

You say this is the same for several chassis you have purchased? Anodising is merely etching the surface with sulphuric acid. This leaves a glass like but open pored surface. An organic dye is applied and then sealed by boiling in water. This closes the surface structure sealing in the dye. Thats the basics of it, most industrial processes are a bit more complex but not much.

It seems that either its not anodised or that the sealing stage has been missed. Try contacting them to see how there anodising is done, its clearly not quite right.

Cheers Matt.

You say this is the same for several chassis you have purchased? Anodising is merely etching the surface with sulphuric acid. This leaves a glass like but open pored surface. An organic dye is applied and then sealed by boiling in water. This closes the surface structure sealing in the dye. Thats the basics of it, most industrial processes are a bit more complex but not much.

It seems that either its not anodised or that the sealing stage has been missed. Try contacting them to see how there anodising is done, its clearly not quite right.

Cheers Matt.

I agree 100% with what you are saying. I'm waiting for a reply from the seller.
I believe it's missing the sealing or else simple touch would not rub off the paint.

I agree 100% with what you are saying. I'm waiting for a reply from the seller.
I believe it's missing the sealing or else simple touch would not rub off the paint.

Hello Bengali,

I would be interested to know if Par-Metal's has provided you with a satisfactory resolution to this problem and what their resolution was.

I ask, as I was giving serious consideration to buying the same chassis you purchased for an upcoming project, but your experience with this company is very concerning.

Best regards,

Obe1

Hello Bengali,

I would be interested to know if Par-Metal's has provided you with a satisfactory resolution to this problem and what their resolution was.

I ask, as I was giving serious consideration to buying the same chassis you purchased for an upcoming project, but your experience with this company is very concerning.

Best regards,

Obe1

Hi Obe1,

He did reply and was willing to replace both of the chassis which is great.
it is not an ideal situation for me though so I have ask to have just the front and top panels replaced. I'm still waiting for a reply.

only gripe is slow reponses to emails, sometimes a whole week and you cannot get a tracking # right away. I think it's just 1-2 people dealing
with a ton of orders, my guess.

delivery time has been usually 1.5-2weeks. they are on the East Coast and I'm on the West.

It is a concern though, 2 out of 2 have the same issue over a few months?

I'm also very curious as to how the replacements will look. if and when I receive them, I can keep you posted.

hope that helps!

Hi Bengali,

A) Thanks for the response, and B) sorry to hear of all your grief.

I too live on the west coast, so I can appreciate what it's like dealing with some outfits on the east coast.

Please stay in touch.

Hi Obe1,

Parmetal sent me brand new replacements, the finish is much better, paint does not rub off but still has issues with adhesive. while removing the bubble wrap, it was taped with shipping tape. I got some shipping tape onto the chassis and it just leaves a horrible residue. I used some goo off per other poster and removed it. it probably would benefit from a clear coat though anodized should not have this problem.

does show they provide excellent service with replacements, no hassles.

hope that helps.

take care.

I just want to add that for what it's worth I have also purchased a chassis from Par and dealt with John directly and was very happy with his service and product!

I've also purchased about a dozen torroidal transformers for them and found them but be top notch! I was going to say for the money but no they're very good and I've been very happy with there performance! I find that the best way to do business with him is just to call directly!

I just received my custom Par-Metal chassis today and WOW they did a great job! John was great to deal with. I wanted a series 20 case, but in a size they don't carry stock, and with vent holes moved etc etc plus custom front and rear panels. John was VERY accommodating!! I sent in detailed autocad drawings and they made a 20 series case to my exact size 17"x14"x5" and moved all the vent holes around they way i wanted and did an excellent job on all the holes and everything! very very nice product for a reasonable price!

I ordered the plain unfinished aluminum case and looks great! I too have ordered some of the Antek toroid and have had very good luck with everything from them! there communication was very good, they sent a tracking number when the item shipped and they quoted a 2 week lead time and had it done in 1 week!

AWESOME!

Zc

I do as well concur with the service from John, at parmetal, and the results from both Parmetal and Antek. I have ordered custom cases more than a few times and also ordered stock item cases. I have also ordered at least 20 of their Toroidal transformers.

Not a single misstep in anything, so far.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.