Any Par-Metal Chassis Owner's out there? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2010, 02:52 AM   #1
Bengali is offline Bengali  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Any Par-Metal Chassis Owner's out there?

Hi,

please refer to attached photos. I'm still waiting for a reply from parmetal.

Hoping to get a quick answer here. this is the 2nd 20 series Black Anodized chassis I have purchased. I'm having the same issue with the black paint coming off. Just handling it, finger prints get all over it. When I use blue painter's masking tape, the residue will NOT come off!

I've tried warm soapy water and alcohol to no avail. you can see in the pic, the strip of residue from the tape. other pic shows simple damp paper towel picking up the black paint.

I've purchased his clear alodine chassis before and never had issue like this.
I'm really frustrated since I'm not sure how to resolve this. It went from looking really nice to crap just from handling.

any ideas? thanks for your help!
Attached Files
File Type: zip 20 series chassis.zip (255.0 KB, 136 views)
Old 20th March 2010, 03:23 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Funny you mention problems with blue masking tape; I had the same issue. I think I used lantern oil to get all the residue off (it works like goo gone).
Old 20th March 2010, 03:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Funny you mention problems with blue masking tape; I had the same issue. I think I used lantern oil to get all the residue off (it works like goo gone).
thanks. are you using his black anodized chassis also? I'll have to get something like that tomorrow at the hardware store. So what do you do about dust and handling?

I'm starting to think it's lacking a clear coat. there is no protective finish and that's the big problem.
Old 20th March 2010, 04:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The problem is they use aluminum sheet with a very coarse grain to it. It must be the cheapest stuff they can get their hands on. They also don't seem to put very much effort into their anodizing process.

A tip for next time (if you ever order from them again): don't buy the full anodized chassis; get the painted top and bottom. That leaves less anodized area to get messed up and it will also save you a few bucks.
Old 20th March 2010, 07:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

thanks for the tip.

I'll try applying a clear coat to protect it.

I agree, for the price paid, it should anodized correctly.

If just touching it and it rubs off on your finger, that's pretty bad.
Old 20th March 2010, 10:02 PM   #6
Matt BH is offline Matt BH  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You say this is the same for several chassis you have purchased? Anodising is merely etching the surface with sulphuric acid. This leaves a glass like but open pored surface. An organic dye is applied and then sealed by boiling in water. This closes the surface structure sealing in the dye. Thats the basics of it, most industrial processes are a bit more complex but not much.

It seems that either its not anodised or that the sealing stage has been missed. Try contacting them to see how there anodising is done, its clearly not quite right.

Cheers Matt.
Old 21st March 2010, 01:31 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You say this is the same for several chassis you have purchased? Anodising is merely etching the surface with sulphuric acid. This leaves a glass like but open pored surface. An organic dye is applied and then sealed by boiling in water. This closes the surface structure sealing in the dye. Thats the basics of it, most industrial processes are a bit more complex but not much.

It seems that either its not anodised or that the sealing stage has been missed. Try contacting them to see how there anodising is done, its clearly not quite right.

Cheers Matt.
I agree 100% with what you are saying. I'm waiting for a reply from the seller.
I believe it's missing the sealing or else simple touch would not rub off the paint.
Old 27th March 2010, 02:56 AM   #8
Obe1 is offline Obe1  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengali View Post
I agree 100% with what you are saying. I'm waiting for a reply from the seller.
I believe it's missing the sealing or else simple touch would not rub off the paint.
Hello Bengali,

I would be interested to know if Par-Metal's has provided you with a satisfactory resolution to this problem and what their resolution was.

I ask, as I was giving serious consideration to buying the same chassis you purchased for an upcoming project, but your experience with this company is very concerning.

Best regards,

Obe1
Old 27th March 2010, 03:29 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hello Bengali,

I would be interested to know if Par-Metal's has provided you with a satisfactory resolution to this problem and what their resolution was.

I ask, as I was giving serious consideration to buying the same chassis you purchased for an upcoming project, but your experience with this company is very concerning.

Best regards,

Obe1
Hi Obe1,

He did reply and was willing to replace both of the chassis which is great.
it is not an ideal situation for me though so I have ask to have just the front and top panels replaced. I'm still waiting for a reply.

only gripe is slow reponses to emails, sometimes a whole week and you cannot get a tracking # right away. I think it's just 1-2 people dealing
with a ton of orders, my guess.

delivery time has been usually 1.5-2weeks. they are on the East Coast and I'm on the West.

It is a concern though, 2 out of 2 have the same issue over a few months?

I'm also very curious as to how the replacements will look. if and when I receive them, I can keep you posted.

hope that helps!
Old 27th March 2010, 03:52 PM   #10
Obe1 is offline Obe1  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Bengali,

A) Thanks for the response, and B) sorry to hear of all your grief.

I too live on the west coast, so I can appreciate what it's like dealing with some outfits on the east coast.

Please stay in touch.

Hide this!Advertise here!