What is Laser Bias ...... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2010, 06:39 AM   #1
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Default What is Laser Bias ......

I see where some manufacturers are claiming Laser Bias , what is laser Bias and how is it done ?

regards .

http://www.edgeamp.com/nlsig1.html

Last edited by a.wayne; 10th March 2010 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10th March 2010, 09:43 AM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I don't know, but those are about the ugliest amps I've ever seen. Maybe the lasers are to blind the user?

If I had to guess, there's probably something like an LDR setup, with the laser diode intensity being modulated by the averaged signal level. They're pretty coy about showing any actual data related to the advantage of their bias arrangement, so one might be cynical and believe that it's a marketing gimmick... There's no "patent pending" or "patented" claims, and USPTO shows no applications assigned to Edge Electronics.
Old 10th March 2010, 11:10 AM   #3
Banned

From their website:-

The NL series of amplifiers utilizes Edge's proprietary Laser Optical Bias Circuitry. This new circuit incorporates a 630 nm wavelength laser in each channel operating directly on the silicon substrate of the bias transistors. The laser bias circuit in turn is part of a servo feedback network. As the signal rises, the output of the laser increases, and as the signal decreases the laser output falls. This keeps the bias at the optimum operating point allowing a tenfold increase in gain. The additional gain is achieved while maintaining signal integrity (linearity) -- at light speed -- a first for solid state amplification.

So it's a DC servo feedback mechanism using a laser detector. Ho hum.

w

What can we put in this to make it more ex...clusive? ...I know! A laser! Coool!

Last edited by wakibaki; 10th March 2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10th March 2010, 07:11 PM   #4
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Ohhh... I was thinking Dark Vader .....
Old 10th March 2010, 07:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakibaki View Post

What can we put in this to make it more ex...clusive? ...I know! A laser! Coool!
It's easier to patent that way...
Old 11th March 2010, 02:19 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
From their website:-

The additional gain is achieved while maintaining signal integrity (linearity) -- at light speed -- a first for solid state amplification.
"light speed" is nonsense in this context. The servo operates as any servo does with some loop gain and BW.

The light does not travel any (well maybe 1.5x or so in some cases) faster than an electrical signal.
Old 11th March 2010, 06:34 AM   #7
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:
.............. This new circuit incorporates a 630 nm wavelength laser in each channel operating directly on the silicon substrate of the bias transistors...................
Is that an opto-coupler ?

Andy

Hide this!Advertise here!