What is Laser Bias ......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't know, but those are about the ugliest amps I've ever seen. Maybe the lasers are to blind the user?

If I had to guess, there's probably something like an LDR setup, with the laser diode intensity being modulated by the averaged signal level. They're pretty coy about showing any actual data related to the advantage of their bias arrangement, so one might be cynical and believe that it's a marketing gimmick... There's no "patent pending" or "patented" claims, and USPTO shows no applications assigned to Edge Electronics.

From their website:-

The NL series of amplifiers utilizes Edge's proprietary Laser Optical Bias Circuitry. This new circuit incorporates a 630 nm wavelength laser in each channel operating directly on the silicon substrate of the bias transistors. The laser bias circuit in turn is part of a servo feedback network. As the signal rises, the output of the laser increases, and as the signal decreases the laser output falls. This keeps the bias at the optimum operating point allowing a tenfold increase in gain. The additional gain is achieved while maintaining signal integrity (linearity) -- at light speed -- a first for solid state amplification.

So it's a DC servo feedback mechanism using a laser detector. Ho hum.

w

What can we put in this to make it more ex...clusive? ...I know! A laser! Coool!

Last edited:
From their website:-

The additional gain is achieved while maintaining signal integrity (linearity) -- at light speed -- a first for solid state amplification.

"light speed" is nonsense in this context. The servo operates as any servo does with some loop gain and BW.

The light does not travel any (well maybe 1.5x or so in some cases) faster than an electrical signal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.