DIY Schumann resonator? - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th March 2010, 05:40 AM   #61
protos is offline protos  Greece
diyAudio Member

About the out of phase thing.Looking up bifilar windings I saw a coil winding that goes around in one direction then -at the end -the return continues and winds back down the same direction .By using the return following the same winding route direction you get cancelletion (unless I have it wrong) .So basically if you want to wind your own self cancelling coil you only need a long length of magnet wire , bend it in the middle so you have two strands then start winding with this middle part at one end end and the two strands exiting the other end.I think this is the principle of the helical two winding arrangement we see in krt and acoustic revive products-just that instead of spending extra on a coil they just pcb the thing....

Last edited by protos; 11th March 2010 at 05:45 AM.
Old 11th March 2010, 06:31 AM   #62
diyAudio Member

you could easily experiment with a single coil with a core or use a small step down transformer with two mains primary windings wired together in parallel but out of phase as Allen suggested. Both of those options will work and neither cost much to try. The only real advantages to the flat printed coil is that it is light thin and probably does not cost too much. Might be a bit of a trick to wind one of your own but I am sure that you could do so. It might be less effort to make your own printed circuit coil. If you know someone who builds their own pcb's then you are most of the way there.
You might also consider buying the small KTR portable unit as a reference, it is as inexpensive as I have found while looking. The cost is not much over the parts count you are looking at to build a unit of your own. You would be able to compare your own version with both styles of coils to the KTR flat coil and chose the coil style that you like best and then use that in your home unit. Then you would still have a portable unit which would be nice for car rides or movies out. Regards Moray James.
Old 11th March 2010, 07:32 PM   #63
diyAudio Member

here are a host of links that may or may not be of interest...

The Library
Old 14th March 2010, 06:55 AM   #64
diyAudio Member

Has anybody come across the radiation pattern of the flat printed circuit bifilar coils used in a number of these devices? Is the radiation in the plane of the coil or at right angles to the coil plane? Thanks.
Old 14th March 2010, 02:27 PM   #65
R.I.P.

Radiation off these reverse wound flar coils is in the plane of the coil, much less (but not non-existant) at right angles.

Regards, Allen
Old 14th March 2010, 05:26 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Thanks Allen. I take it then that the flat reverse wound coils have a dipole pattern then? How does the size of the coil affect the output? Is this a case where bigger is better? Do you know the rational behind the square pattern used and will a round pattern work the same?
Old 14th March 2010, 05:57 PM   #67
R.I.P.

>>I take it then that the flat reverse wound coils have a dipole pattern then?

Not a classic antenna dipole patern at all. It seems to be omnidirectional in the plane of the coil, with "dipole" drop off at right angle.
>How does the size of the coil affect the output?<

Bigger the stronger.

Is this a case where bigger is better?<<

No, becaue too strong a signal become overwhelming and very uncomfortable.

> Do you know the rational behind the square pattern used and will a round pattern work the same?<<

I suspect it's because it's far easier to draw a "square" pattern with straight lines & right angle corners than a continuously concentric circular coil in pcb software.

REgards, Allen
Old 14th March 2010, 06:13 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

Thanks Allen: this is interesting so do the scalar waves radiate in much the same fashion as magnetic waves? In the case of a toroid transformer with two primary windings wired out of phase what is the radiation pattern fron the toroid? Will scalar waves pass through ferrous metal?
Old 14th March 2010, 06:27 PM   #69
R.I.P.

Moray,
I learnt about scalar and associated technologies by a lot of reading and even more experimenting.

I suggest you do the same rather than asking continuous questions of someone who has done the work.

Regards, Allen
Old 14th March 2010, 06:58 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

Asking questions can be a good way of learning. There may be others who are following this thread who are interested and others who may be willing to contribute information and answers. I think that you have provided some very useful information here and I appreciate that. The last time I went searching on line to look into Schumann resonance generators I spent a long time looking and did not come up with much to go on. I think that there is a fair amount of info here in this thread which may stimulate people to experiment. Please continue to share what you will Allen.

Hide this!Advertise here!