DIY Schumann resonator? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2010, 04:08 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

When you suggest to capacitively couple the coil I take it you mean by winding one coil directly over the other? Can you explain your comment above "that capacitively coupling will obtain the same results". I think that if a decent size transformer (VA rating) is used it should be able to handle a 555 at full output. You are probably right that a short duration pulse is a good logical place to start for a project like this then experiment later once things are working.
Old 6th March 2010, 04:37 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

By capacitive coupling i only meant using a capacitor to couple the 555 output to the coil.
Old 6th March 2010, 04:49 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Default CD player used as generator

Hi analog_sa,
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
A good beginning would be to open the commercial unit and take a few pics. As it appears from Scott's link, the coil is not very critical and i would think, neither is the waveform. As i prefer having a frequency display, or at least a source of an accurate frequency i will forgo the 555 and rather use a microcontroller.
I try different solutions for a Schumann resonator.
The first was my function generator. With this equipment, the frequency change with temperature. Even if Schumann resonance is 7.83Hz +/- 0.5 Hz, you can hear difference when varying the frequency from 0.01 Hz.
For an accurate frequency, I use an old CD player where I burn a continuous 7.83Hz sine wave. For the antenna, I put a 10mH inductor (from my stock) with a 600 ohm serial resistor onto the analog output.

I plan to build a generator with microcontroller, more friendly than CD player.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 555 is not able to provide a signal with 50% duty cycle. It generates 7.83 HZ with other high frequency.

Last edited by Eric Juaneda; 6th March 2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 6th March 2010, 05:58 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

These two site have lots of info on the 555 device. What size of area coverage do you get using the single 10mH coil? I will look forward to any and all micro controlled designs that may spring from this thread as I said that type of design is beyond my skills in electronics. I would be useful to have a device with multiple frequency settings and perhaps even various wave form settings. Thanks for the input Eric.

555 Timer/Oscillator Tutorial
555 timer
Old 6th March 2010, 09:25 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Juaneda View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 555 is not able to provide a signal with 50% duty cycle. It generates 7.83 HZ with other high frequency.

Some designs definitely use a 555. Acoustic Revive, otoh, do not. Just reversed their circuit (from pics in the review) and will draw and up it tomorrow if laziness does not prevail. The 8 pin device seen on the pics turned out to be a dual opamp. First half works as a relaxation oscillator and the second as a bandpass filter in order to turn the square waves into something prettier. A low pass should be equally effective. Split power is derived from the incoming 12v dc from two zeners and a virtual ground, so effective PS is probably +-4.7v. It seems AR gets better reviews than simple square wave generators so a sine wave is probably better. The pcb seems quite nice but component cost is way below $10 with the PS. Add a pcb and a case and total manufacturing cost is still under $40. No idea how much advertising and net buzz cost but they seem to operate on a pretty healthy markup.
Old 7th March 2010, 03:24 AM   #36
FrankWW is offline FrankWW  Canada
diyAudio Member

Why am I reminded of the orgone box?
Old 7th March 2010, 07:29 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Hello Moray,
Quote:
Originally Posted by moray james View Post
What size of area coverage do you get using the single 10mH coil?
Oh, I see that I don't use 10mH but 1.2mH inductor! Sorry. The size of coil is:
- external diameter 44mm
- height 21mm.
Old 7th March 2010, 07:37 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Hi analog_sa,
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
...Just reversed their circuit (from pics in the review) and will draw and up it tomorrow if laziness does not prevail. The 8 pin device seen on the pics turned out to be a dual opamp. First half works as a relaxation oscillator and the second as a bandpass filter...
I already do this search .
In this schematic, the oscillation frequency can vary with the value of the power supply and temperature.
Old 7th March 2010, 07:38 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Forgive me I was not clear in asking my question. I was wondering what size of radiating area that you have found your device to have? How far physically can you be away from the device and still perceive its impact?
Old 7th March 2010, 10:50 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Here is the AR circuit. Some component values can be seen from the published pics but all should be easy to calculate as these are standard textbook curcuits. Opamp has a fet input and needs to have a low voltage offset. Output waveform is a modified square wave.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AR.pdf (12.4 KB, 819 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!