DIY Schumann resonator? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2010, 06:53 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Hi Allen

Is there any quantitative way of describing "high" or "low"? Is there also a way of measuring signal strength in some standard units? During the demo i witnessed the host claimed to experience all sorts of feelings while the generator was on. I experienced nothing at all but definitely heard a difference in tonal balance and bass and a slightly different perception of acoustics. To tell the truth i hear more pronounced changes by swapping capacitors and other passive parts but it certainly seems worthwhile to build a clone as it costs practically nothing.
Old 5th March 2010, 07:04 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Wright View Post
Scott,
Your link is appreciated but your comments are not. Have you ever tried such a configuration? I bet not.

It makes very observable physiological effect on the body, my wife can tell when I turn on my sample from anywhere in the house, and if it's on "high" she almost runs and says "Turn that thing OFF!"

When on very "low" she appreciates the effect.

And if you want to take up your disagreement with the reversed windings idea, take it up with Patrick Flanagan - he's who I got the idea from.

Regards, Allen
I've learned to never argue with a wife hearing things from the next room. I wouldn't argue about this any sooner than I would argue about creation science.
Old 5th March 2010, 07:07 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
You would do well to look up the magnitude of the E and H components of the Schumann fields. Any of these devices would swamp them by orders of magnitude. As for reversing output windings producing "scalar waves" pure nonsense.

www.vlf.it - ELF Minimal Loop
Great link Scott. Thanks.
Old 5th March 2010, 09:19 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

No I cannot explain how Allen's suggested two coil transformer works as a radiating antenna. I am simply taking his word that it does work. If I want to build one of these things then I need at least a suggested working model to follow. Such units are being sold on the market and an inexpensive version is of interest to me especially since I have the ability to directly compare it to a commercial unit. Suppose we consider this as a form of peer review?
Old 5th March 2010, 09:51 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

A good beginning would be to open the commercial unit and take a few pics. As it appears from Scott's link, the coil is not very critical and i would think, neither is the waveform. As i prefer having a frequency display, or at least a source of an accurate frequency i will forgo the 555 and rather use a microcontroller.
Old 5th March 2010, 10:29 PM   #26
R.I.P.

"High" is the full output of a 555 fed from a 9V battery - "Low" is that output divided by 10.

Regards, Allen
Old 5th March 2010, 10:37 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Thanks Allen.
Old 5th March 2010, 10:46 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

You are right one could simply take a look but I don't own the unit and I would not ask the owner to take his brand new toy apart just so I can rubber neck. That aside there is not much satisfaction in simply making a clone of another persons work and effort. Besides there are photos of the Revive on Six Moons which clearly show both sides of the very simple circuit board design that they use and it would appear to be a 555 based design. I do like your idea of a micro controller and it would permit easy adjustment but that is a bit to complex for my non electronic brain. Of course if you can figure one out and wish to share a schematic that would be nice. My concern with the wave form would be from the generation of odd harmonics from the square wave but you may be correct in your assumption that it may make little difference. What are your thoughts on the duty cycle of the square wave, wide or narrow?
Old 6th March 2010, 07:07 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

I was going to edit the above post but my time window has lapsed. The more I think about it the more I think that a reverse saw tooth wave form would be a very good place to start. Many sounds in nature start with a peak and then have a decay. This may sound a bit corny but it seems a very natural envelope and the square wave even as a sharp pulse does not strike me as natural at all. So a sharp attack followed by a steady decay. Thunder comes to mind. Might be as good a choice as any.
I had also thought that the generator should have an assortment of target frequencies such as Theta Beta and Alpha as in sleep calm and alert stages of your brain wave patterns. Perhaps a setting for 45 33.3 and 78 would be attractive to the analog crowd.
Old 6th March 2010, 08:28 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moray james View Post
What are your thoughts on the duty cycle of the square wave, wide or narrow?

It only makes sense to have pulses of very short duration in order to avoid heating up the coil and transmitter or you can capacitively couple the coil and obtain the same result. Or use a sine. No clue if it may be better.

Hide this!Advertise here!