DIY Schumann resonator? - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2010, 08:51 PM   #121
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moray james View Post
I am also curious to know what voltage you are running your output stage at...
It's more interesting to know the value of the current flowing through the antenna.
The couple 'size of the antenna' (inductance value) and current gives enough parameters to determine the power emitted. You can compensate a small antenna with higher current to obtain same result.

There is others parameters who can increase or decrease the power emitted, but it is another story.
Old 7th April 2010, 09:04 PM   #122
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moray james View Post
Thanks for your observations Eric. Can you describe your coil and also what voltage you are running it at? do you feel that your set up covers the whole house? Regards.
I'm using a 1.2mH inductor with 600 ohm serial resistor powered by 2V RMS.
This gives 3.33mA in 1.2mH inductor => 197W.
The antenna is putted at 2 meters high. The house is not made with solid wall (placoplatre in French). I can feel the effect in all the room (about 12 meters around).

Like there is a difference between hearings persons speaking and understanding what they say, Schumann feeling in the last room is probably not the same that in the emitting room.
Old 7th April 2010, 09:17 PM   #123
diyAudio Member

I have access to an inductance meter so I will check my magnetic coil as soon as I get it wound and see what it measures. Thanks for the information. I am surprised as I thought that much more voltage would be required to cover this area. What gage is the wire in your coil? I have been winding coils from an spool of 30 gage magnet wire. I will measure the DCR. I should think that as long as the oscillator is happy and the waveform is smooth and symmetrical that it should not matter much. So calculate the watts dissipated in the coil to get an idea of the area of transmission? Regards.
Old 8th April 2010, 11:58 AM   #124
diyAudio Member

Hello.
For Eric: I confirm the 10 seconds latency to synch with the resonator wheh I power on, but when I power off it seems to me that I remain "phased" for more than 10 seconds.
For Moray: I'm out of home these days, when I'll turn back I'll send you the schematics.
I currently use an LM6172 dual opamp to generate a 4,5Vrms sine (about 40mA) feeding a 50mH air inductor; the resistive load is about 140ohm. It was not so easy to set the frequency to 7,83 due to the instability of the opamp-made oscillator.
Eric can calculate the radiated power as I don't know the formula.
Regards
Old 8th April 2010, 05:18 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

That would be nice and thank you for this information. By the way what gage is your 50 mH coil? Since you have confirmed Eric's findings I am wondering what range of transmission you are achieving? Would you say that the unit is covering your house?
Old 8th April 2010, 08:51 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

As you can read in my first post here I used a 30awg enameled wire - very thin.
Regarding the emission I have to test it, but I think that the field decreases quickly.
One important thing: I take the coil in the vertical plane so I can see this big "O" just in front of me.
The other devices I know have an internal antenna placed in the horizontal plane, do you think I used it in a wrong way?

Regards
Old 8th April 2010, 10:17 PM   #127
diyAudio Member

Well all of the commercial units I have seen that use bifilar flat coils have them in them positioned parallel to the ground but that does not mean much as it is the most practical way to orient them in a small box. I have not tried them in different positions much and I did not notice any difference when I did flip them around so I just left it as it came. From what I understand though the field squirts out from the narrow plane of a flat coil so you might want to try it parallel to the ground. The cylindrical coil that I just built has its core length parallel to the ground and it seems to work fine that way. I have to get the magnetic coil built soon and get this unit back to is owner though. Sorry I did not remember that you had used magnet wire, that's exactly what I used also 30 gage. Was your choice of series load resistor simply determined by what kept your oscillator happy? Thanks.
Old 9th April 2010, 06:59 AM   #128
diyAudio Member

Yes I used the classic trafo magnet wire (30AWG polyurethane enameled copper wire).
I choose the load resistor to keep the output current lower than the 50ma maximum limit of the LM6172 and the distortion low.

Regards
Old 9th April 2010, 04:18 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

Someone told me yesterday that placing a strong magnet on the centre of a flat bifilar coil has some interesting effects on the coil. I am fresh out so perhaps some here might give this a try. I used up all my neo magnets building my last coil. I should think that this is exactly the same as having a high permeability core in a cylindrical coil so the inductance of the coil goes up this its would be the same as winding a larger coil. Ideally you would want the magnetic slug in the dead centre of the flat coil with the magnetic poles on either flat side of the slug at right angles to the coil plane.
Old 13th April 2010, 02:53 PM   #130
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Bingo.

Try blind testing.
First we have to test your psychological and cognitive literacy. This has been done, over thousands of posts. It has been found to be wanting, to the point that it intrudes in others lives in a manner that is socially and culturally unacceptable when it comes to a workable system of human social interaction.

As for the levels of intrusion and systematic derision of others on a continual level, with regard to this forum, you should not be allowed moderation capacities. You need to have your stripes ripped from your shoulders, son. Perhaps that would teach you a modicum of respect, but I seriously doubt it - As your history on this forum has so clearly shown.

As for Sy, Scott Wurcer, and others who may intrude here, go away, and don't come back. You seriously, in all ways, don't to have the right to run roughshod over threads like these.

If you want a better forum, that advances all aspects of audio and how humans integrate with this world and each other, then leave this thread and don't come back.

If you can't stop being a animalistic on the social level with regard to things you don't understand - then learn, at the least, to stay away. You'll be a better person for it.

~~~~~~~~

As to the subject at hand, Thank you gentlemen for your information on the resonators and coils. This information can be difficult to come by when it comes to the constructional basics. You have advanced my understandings of the direction one needs to move in, an a positive way.

Last edited by KBK; 13th April 2010 at 02:59 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!